euphonium01 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Question Navigating to a Tab Page

I have been trying for 2 days to resolve this problem, the objective is to search for a Serial # on a Sub-form, that is on a tabbed page, on a Customer's form. I am guessing that the answer would be complicated, so I have tried to help by including the names of each form, control etc that is shown in properties.

From my 'Home' screen, I have a combo box (simply called 'SearchSerial#') where I can list items sold and their unique Serial #, I need to select a Serial # then (from the After Update function) a Macro runs the following:
    1) Opens the form, 'Customer Details' where there are 3 tabbed pages, 'Detail', 'History', and 'Orders' that is part of a cluster called 'tabContacts'.
    2) Navigates to the 'Orders' tabbed page (in properties this page is called 'Orders_page' and tab index is 2), on this tabbed page there are 2 Sub-forms, 'Order' and 'Order Details'.
    3) Navigates to the 'Order Details' Sub-form and then to the 'Serial #' Control, and finds the Serial # that I chose in the combo box.

Firstly, is this all possible? I know it's complicated but, without having to re-organise the forms and sub-forms that already work very well, it's what I need to fix.

If it is possible and someone can help, they must be either a god, or a genius, and will have my everlasting envy and thanks.

P.
    Last edited by June7; 11-28-2014 at 11:49 AM.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    It is possible and it can be complicated. Sounds like this is a normal form/subforms and tab control - not a Navigation form?

First, I advise you NOT to use spaces and special characters/punctuation (underscore is exception) in naming convention. Better would be SerialNum or Serial_Num.

Second, I don't use macros, only VBA.

The choice of serial numbers to search for should be restricted by the customer ID because I assume subforms are linked to parent form.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Smile Yes - Forms/SubForms and Tabs

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    It is possible and it can be complicated. Sounds like this is a normal form/subforms and tab control - not a Navigation form?

First, I advise you NOT to use spaces and special characters/punctuation (underscore is exception) in naming convention. Better would be SerialNum or Serial_Num.

Second, I don't use macros, only VBA.

The choice of serial numbers to search for should be restricted by the customer ID because I assume subforms are linked to parent form.
    Hi and thanks for your help. You are correct, it is normal forms/subforms and tab controls. The problem here is that what I know I know well, however, what I know is very limited.

I understand regarding the use of spaces too but, this goes back to my very early days of building databases, the problem now is the database is too well established to start changing control/field names, I do plan re-writing the whole thing for the new financial year in April 15 using the experience I have gained building this one.

There is of course a unique customer ID that the subforms link to, some customers are return customers but, all items purchased have unique serial numbers. I am asked every day "who purchased item Serial Number xxx" so I am trying to create a simple combo box on the main form ('Home') that will search and find the customer who bought it, and highlight the item.

I am terrible using VBA having only ever used Macros, I don't always understand the terminology in VBA but, if that's the way to do this then fine, so long as someone can help me with what to write? You guys always amaze me how you remember all the terminology and commands!

P

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    The combobox RowSource could be a query that joins the serial numbers with customers then columns of the combobox could display the related info. The CustomerID would then be available to filter the main form.

Review http://www.allenbrowne.com/ser-62.html
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

trevor40 is offline Advanced db Manager
    Windows XP Access 2003

Convert your macro to vba

You can convert macros into VBA, when you do this you may gain a better understaning of VBA and how it compares to the original macro, then start to use VBA in stead.

Coverting Macros

Quote Originally Posted by trevor40 View Post
    You can convert macros into VBA, when you do this you may gain a better understaning of VBA and how it compares to the original macro, then start to use VBA in stead.
    Thanks Trevor40. I tried this, and although all conversions weren't successful most were, and it has given me some better insight into how vba works. The answers from June7 have been great, help from her before has proved very good too, and converting the Macros has inspired me to learn more about them, so, there's room for some thought over the festivities lol.

My only problem left to close this issue is to find out how to mark this thread as resolved??

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.