charly.csh is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 8 Access 2007

Login form with the Network user and Network password

Hello everyone

I need your support on this matter: into the form named: Administratorsfrm, I added a textbox defined as usertxt and also a textbox named passwordtxt as well as a button named logincmd.

The user defined is the Network user and this is added automatically to the usertxt field everytime when I open the Administratorsfrm form. To do this I use the next code:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Private Sub Form_Open(Cancel As Integer)

Dim wshNetwork As Object 'New wshNetwork
    Set wshNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network")
    Me.Usertxt = wshNetwork.UserName

Set wshNetwork = Nothing

End Sub

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My concernen is this: I would like that the user types his/her password (Network password or Unlocking computer) and after this could Login to the database application

I mean, the user will type his password and then the event should compare the password typed with the network password or unlocking password and if this is correct should open the database application (Main Menu Form: Mainfrm)

Thanks in advance for the support!

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I make the assumption if user was able to login to the network then they are valid user and don't need password for the database. I have no reason to make them login twice.

Are you concerned that someone would walk away from their running computer and someone else will then use it to open the database - assuming the absentee user didn't also leave the db open?

You would need a table of users with their network username and a database password (because you can't have their network password). Then when the db opens, user enters username and password and code searches for this info in the table.

This in no way truly secures the db. Anyone aware of shift key bypass can open an accdb file and have full access to everything.

A multi-user database should be split and each user runs their own copy of the frontend on their workstation.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

charly.csh is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 8 Access 2007
    Yes I'm aware on this you mentioned, and the reason I would rather use the network password (or unlock computer password) is because normally I have a lot of systems developed and every user of those systems are the same people and have a different user and password Login by system. (I mean one user has 3 usersnames and 3 passwords to remember)

I really believe itīs very complicated to remember every user and every password for each system and from my point of view if the user only use the Network username and also the same password they should be easy to remember and forget that headeache

Before I developed a Table with users and passwords and then I used Dlookup to compare that. Now I'm thinking in this new way...

I use a computer (not in network) and I have a username and also a password and everytime when I login, it request the user and password

Why is possible to bring the username in my database and not the password?

Two questions:

1. Is it possible to do what I'm asking for?

2. Is there away to avoid the access of Shift Key?

Thanks in advance!

tonez90 is offline Novice

Login to network

Hi,
    I am unsure what exactly your after but I have a quick network login form if you wish. We use active directory as well. The form may help. I hope I uploaded it correctly.
    network_Login_Example.zip

June7 is offline VIP
    I forgot about Active Directory, never used it.

The shift key bypass can be password protected. http://www.databasedev.co.uk/disable_shift_bypass.html
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.