GraeagleBill is offline Experienced Old Geezer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2003

Field overflow

In code, when one is setting an unbound field in a report, is there a way to determine if the data will overflow the target field. I suppose with a mono-spaced font, one could know the character capacity of the target field and code accordingly, but not so with proportional spaced fonts.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Have to know the size of the text field. It is possible to use VBA to get the properties of tables and fields. Or you could just hard code a value to check against in the control's BeforeUpdate event.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

I know easily the width of the unbound text box, both in inches and Twips. It's the length of the string to be placed in the text box that's the issue. I.e., will it fit when the text box is formatted.

Dim strMyString as string
    strMyString = "Here is some text"

Me.tbMyTextBox = strMyString 'Text box in my report

Is the width of the text box control tbMyTextBox wide enough to hold strMyString without overflowing?

June7 is offline VIP
    I thought you wanted to check the length of the input against the allowed field size (number of characters).

If I have a variable length input and using proportional font, I size the textbox to fit the allowed field size using the widest character - capital W. If the field size is 20 characters, then the textbox is sized to allow display of 20 W's.

Or I set the textbox height to display at least two lines and activate the vertical scroll bar.

Programmatically altering textbox dimensions to accommodate variable length string is not practical.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Since the text box is in a report, vertical scroll bars aren't an option. The input strings are somewhat manageable and I do have the option of populating a second line in another text box, though at the expense of other data that would have to be omitted.

We need a function like lgTwips = TwipLgth(strMyString, tbMyTextBox)
    Where the function returns the length in twips of strMyString when formatted according to the properties of tbMyTextBox. The returned value can then be compared to the known width of the text box control.

I need to move on, so I'll mark this issue as resolved. Thanks for your thoughts June.
    Bill

June7 is offline VIP
    Why is this a concern in report? Textbox can grow vertically in a report.

June7 is offline VIP
    I said not practical but apparently not impossible. Review: http://www.lebans.com/autosize_textbox.htm

Sorry for the delay in responding.

I've captured a screen-shot of the detail section of the report, which is a multi-page directory of profiles. There are 10 profiles per page, two columns. One of the tightest arrangements I've encountered in years.

As you look at the detail section, line 2 of 10 lines is the line subject to overflow to two lines in the line 2 text box. You gave me the idea to make that text box twice its previous height, which you can't tell from the screen-shot. In the "Detail_Format" code, the text string that is compiled out of the DB is tested for its length and the top properties of all 10 lines are adjusted to make room for the expended 2nd line if it exceeds a nominal value, which I determined empirically. Top two lines move up while lines 3 through 10 are shifted down. It is aesthetically undesirable to leave the lines shifted this way throughout the directory.

Thanks for the ideas you seeded.
    Bill

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DirectoryDetailSection.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	18842

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.