Gina Maylone is offline Always learning
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Need to add a single record to a table using an sppend query with a one to many relationship

Good morning,

I have tables Account (PK acctnum) and Orders (linked via acctnum to Account). There are multiple orders per account that need to be billed individually. When creating an invoice I need to add the Account to the Invoice table and the Orders to the InvoiceDetail table. I use 2 queries to accomplish this. The first one though adds multiple records to the invoice table (because of the one to many relationship). I need to keep that so I don't bill anyone with no orders.

INSERT INTO Invoices ( InvoiceDate, AcctNum )
    SELECT DISTINCT Date() AS InvoiceDate, Account.AcctNum
    FROM Account INNER JOIN [Order] ON Account.AcctNum = Order.AcctNum
    WHERE (((Order.OrderNum)=[Forms]![Account]![Order].[Form]![OrderNum]) AND ((Account.BillingCycle)="on discharge") AND ((Order.EndDate) Is Not Null) AND ((Order.Closed)=Yes) AND ((Order.PatientName)=[Forms]![Account]![Order].[Form]![PatientName]));

Is there any way to get it to only add one record? I've tried limiting it with several parameters to no avail.

TIA! Have a great day!
    Last edited by June7; 11-21-2014 at 02:07 PM.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    You want one record for one patient OR one record each for multiple patients? Since you include a parameter for a single patient I am guessing the first is the case but only if that patient has orders that meet criteria?

I would use VBA to run an SQL action, not a saved Access object. And only run the action if conditions are met.

If DCount("*", "Order", "OrderNum=" & Forms]![Account]![Order].[Form]![OrderNum] & " AND Not IsNull(EndDate) AND Closed=True") > 0 Then
    CurrentDb.Execute "INSERT INTO Invoices (InvoiceDate, AcctNum) VALUES (Date()," & Me.AcctNum & ")"
    End If

The actual syntax of the condition depends on where the code is run from (main or subform).
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Gina Maylone is offline Always learning
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    YES! that worked! Thank you June7!!!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.