bosch is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 (version 14.0)

Angry Need Help on Error: There isn't enough free memory to update the display

Hi everyone!

My problem: There isn't enough free memory to update the display.

I looked all over the internet about this error but without any success.

Facts are:

1. I keep getting this error anytime I try to Print or Print Preview or export to PDF an Access Report (same error for printing Forms and maybe other objects).

2. I received this error when using Office 2007 with the same mdb and also after upgrading to Office 2010.

3. The same mdb on any other computer works perfectly. I can do Print, Print Preview or whatever I want. This seems to be related to this laptop I am using.

4. Resources are not a problem on this laptop: 3Gb RAM, Paging: 1Gb on sys drive C and 2Gb on D. The other machines have less.

I could really use some help because it is annoying to work on this machine, email the mdb on another machine (or to a friend) then export to PDF and then send me back the PDF in order to print it.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks a lot,

Bosch
    Last edited by bosch; 03-13-2010 at 09:57 AM. Reason: updated thread title

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    I've had this too - and it is a pain. Unique to 1 PC only - - - and in my case - reboot would usually clear. ...but not always....

anytime a Report won't work one has to be suspect of the print driver; as the print driver interacts with Access even when opening in Preview mode; plug a printer to your laptop - make sure it is your default printer and working ok....and then try and see if the problem still occurs...

another idea; while you have loads of capacity - it is always possible you have something running that is causing the conflict; perhaps a CRM application has embedded sqlserver or something....so be sure to review all that stuff - even potentially turning off your antivirus stuff - - for testing purposes...

please post what you find.....

bosch is offline Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by NTC View Post
    I've had this too - and it is a pain. Unique to 1 PC only - - - and in my case - reboot would usually clear. ...but not always....
    reboot did not work, nor did installing MS Office 2010

anytime a Report won't work one has to be suspect of the print driver; as the print driver interacts with Access even when opening in Preview mode; plug a printer to your laptop - make sure it is your default printer and working ok....and then try and see if the problem still occurs...
    I thought of that, too. I have several printers installed, actually more instances of the same one (same driver, different printer in different places across country): I never connected a printer to this laptop, only installed printers through TCP-IP ports over the internet.

I have also installed BullZip PDF Printer and set it to default and still nothing.

Those 2 printer drivers above are on the other laptop where the reports open fine.

I once had an IBM network printer and I only used it a few times, at the office and i remember i had some issues with it but i cannot correlate the time when i installed the printer with the date when the reports stopped working.

Maybe it would be an idea to clear all the printer drivers that were ever installed, or whatever resides in Sys32/spool ? There are a few folder there that do not seem quite right. I don't know, though, what can be deleted and what cannot...

another idea; while you have loads of capacity - it is always possible you have something running that is causing the conflict; perhaps a CRM application has embedded sqlserver or something....so be sure to review all that stuff - even potentially turning off your antivirus stuff - - for testing purposes...
    I did all that stuff. Indeed I usually have lots of RAM occupied because of development servers and tools, but I always have a few hundred megs left.

Anyway, I have tested it also right after logging in, with all unnecessary processes killed (procexp is my friend) and still got the same result.

I tried with or withour antivirus, firewall, antispyware, etc.

I have even updated the display drivers (I was sure that would solve it but i was wrong).

I am positive that it has nothing to do with the RAM or with the message itself.

I think you are right with the printer driver idea but I don't know what to do next: like I said, i have the same printers on the other computer and they are set up exactly the same way.

Very strange....

NTC is offline VIP
    well you've jumped into alot of peripheral things pretty fast;

have you deleted that FE and installed a new FE? that's a basic thing.

assuming that the report has a record source that is a query; are you able to open that query yourself manually by itself ok? if so - I would then make a totally new basic report and see how that goes.

if some reports work fine - but just one is bombing - then I would focus on that single report object; if all reports are bombing I would focus on deleting all print drivers - and then set up one single printer with it attached..and see then if reports will run.....

bosch is offline Novice
    well you've jumped into alot of peripheral things pretty fast;
    sorry

have you deleted that FE and installed a new FE? that's a basic thing.
    What is a FE? Maybe I did but I don't know the acronym...

assuming that the report has a record source that is a query; are you able to open that query yourself manually by itself ok? if so - I would then make a totally new basic report and see how that goes.
    All queries are working fine.
    Creating a blank MDB with a blank report raises the same error...

if some reports work fine - but just one is bombing - then I would focus on that single report object; if all reports are bombing I would focus on deleting all print drivers - and then set up one single printer with it attached..and see then if reports will run.....
    No report works, nor does any other object that I try to print or Print Preview from Access....

Thanks for taking the time to read....

Bosch

NTC is offline VIP
    FE is front end. multiuser dbs are split between an FE that resides on each user's pc and the BE which contains the tables and are linked/shared by all users.

if your FE is corrupt - deleting it and replacing it with a copy of another FE might fix your problem...

bosch is offline Novice
    FE is front end. multiuser dbs are split between an FE that resides on each user's pc and the BE which contains the tables and are linked/shared by all users.

if your FE is corrupt - deleting it and replacing it with a copy of another FE might fix your problem...
    I understand.

Well, in my case the db is not multiuser, everything resides in one mdb...

I will try playing with the registry until I remove the print drivers. Maybe Access has a region of its own where it keeps printer settings, no matter which is the default printer...

F5Tornado is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Thumbs up There isn't enough free memory to update the display

i know the post is old - however, the problem is still relevant/prevalent. Just did a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 8GB RAM/Office 2007 with all sp's and updates - the error message popped up on one of the databases when previewing a report. the problem disappeared when the networked hp laserjet was turned on - AND - the report's Pop Up and Modal properties were set to No - AND - the Default View was set to Report Preview. not sure which of these "fixes" was the answer, but altogether they worked (leaning towards popup and modal as the culprits ).

breauxlg is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2003

This might be an authority issue

I was having the same problem on a Terminal Server. When I logged on as Administrator, the error went away. When I logged back on as a user, it came back. Will try to see what resources are not authorized.

Rick60z is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

There isn't enough free memory to update the display

I had this exact same problem, beginning when I upgraded to Office 2010.

Here's what I did to fix it:

Switch the Report's Macro from 'PrintPreview' to 'Report' in Design View.
    Specifically, right click on the Macro and select 'Design View', then change View from 'Print Preview' to 'Report'.

Hopefully this will be useful to others.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.