vientito is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

refresh interval & unbound form

What I understand is that refresh interval controls how frequent the database data will be refreshed so in a multiuser environment everyone is aware of the current status of the data. I don't suppose it will work in unbound form since there is no initial recordset that is being hanged on to. If I have to work with unbound form, is there an event that I can hook to update my controls on my form?

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    If the form is unbound theres no reason to update anything.

If bound, then you probably are not on 1 record long enough to need an update.

thebigthing313 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    If you mean that for some reason you need to use an unbound form to edit data on the tables, then when would you want a refresh? When the current record was updated prior to one user finishing their changes?

Do you have something like a main menu with recent records shown in a listbox and you want that refreshed every time a new record comes?

A little more information is needed.

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    Quote Originally Posted by vientito View Post

...I don't suppose it will work in unbound form since there is no initial recordset...
    In point of fact there is no Recordset at all...initial or otherwise...ever! An Unbound Form contains no Records. It's merely a collection of Controls for entering data. There is nothing to refresh.

Why do you 'have to work' with an Unbound Form?

If you insist on using Unbound Forms, you'd be far better off using a straight VB or C++ front end with a SQL Server or Oracle back end.

• You can create an EXE file which gives total protection to your code/design
    • You can distribute the db to PCs without a copy of Access being on board
    • Your data security is far, far better than anything you can do in Access

The question here is "Why?" Why do you not want Access to automatically save the Record by default? There's nothing that can be done using Unbound Forms that cannot be accomplished with Bound Forms, and usually accomplished with less work!

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

vientito is offline Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by Missinglinq View Post
    In point of fact there is no Recordset at all...initial or otherwise...ever! An Unbound Form contains no Records. It's merely a collection of Controls for entering data. There is nothing to refresh.

Why do you 'have to work' with an Unbound Form?

If you insist on using Unbound Forms, you'd be far better off using a straight VB or C++ front end with a SQL Server or Oracle back end.

• You can create an EXE file which gives total protection to your code/design
    • You can distribute the db to PCs without a copy of Access being on board
    • Your data security is far, far better than anything you can do in Access

The question here is "Why?" Why do you not want Access to automatically save the Record by default? There's nothing that can be done using Unbound Forms that cannot be accomplished with Bound Forms, and usually accomplished with less work!

Linq ;0)>
    I can't design what I need to do with a single-view or continous view form so that is why I am thinking of going this route.

I need to display all 5 records of my query at the same time on my form. Single-view will only allow me to display one at a time and edit one at a time. Continous view will let me look at all 5 records at the same time and edit them but I cannot design a different text label for each of my records (i.e. a question relevant to what the record provides) because whatever label I give to one it will be displayed uniformly across all records. That's the reason I need to sever the link between the underlying recordset and the form that insists to bring them in.

An alternative is to design a subform for each of 5 records and put them all on the form. However, that seems like a lot of work to generate so many queries and subforms. What if I get 50 questions? I need to make 50 different queries and subforms? I would like to build a form with all fifty controls where I can see the values all at once and allow the user to change whatever they see fit.

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    for 'a different text label for each record': just use a regular text field with a field in the table/query record source - and make it appear as if it is a label when displaying on the screen form

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    Quote Originally Posted by vientito View Post

...I need to display all 5 records of my query at the same time on my form...
    And how do you propose to do that with an Unbound Form? As I said, there are no 'Records' with an Unbound Form.

Use a Bound Form, and to differentiate between the Records, follow the advice of NTC; add a Text Field and format it to look like a Label, if need be.

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.