merlin777 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows Vista Access 2007

where to store fe/be for multiple users on a network?

I will have around 10 simultaneous users of a database. Each will probably keep it open all day and subject it to fairly light use.

I will split it into front and back ends, the be going into a network folder.

Where would you recommend I put the fe?

Should I put one fe in the same folder and let them all use it at the same time? I presume that would be faster than giving them all a copy of the front end to use on their local hard drives?

I have considered adding the facility on the fe to allow user-definable defaults, like the user's name, to speed things up for them but i assume that will only work if they each have their own fe and not sure if it's worth the hassle if it's faster to have one fe in the same network folder as the back end. I would value your thoughts...

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    The normal setup is for each user to have a copy of the FE on their computer.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Thanks for that. Does this give rise to any performance speed issues with data moving to and fro over the network?

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Further to Paul's advice, see these tips and here

Windows XP Access 2007
    The data moves over the network either way. With the FE on the PC, only data moves, not form and report objects.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

thebigthing313 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Should I put one fe in the same folder and let them all use it at the same time? I presume that would be faster than giving them all a copy of the front end to use on their local hard drives?
    This won't work. Multiple users can't use the same FE copy. If they try to, then only one user can use one form at a time.

Thanks, everyone. The last post is the clincher but it doesn't sound as though in this context, the performance will suffer greatly.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigthing313 View Post
    This won't work. Multiple users can't use the same FE copy. If they try to, then only one user can use one form at a time.
    In my experience they can share a copy, they just shouldn't. It will typically corrupt the file at some point. I just converted a new client that had mentioned they had to replace the shared file once a week or so (they brought me in to add a feature). They haven't had to replace a corrupted file since I set them up with individual copies and a version control utility.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Practical questions for when I hand over my database to my users:

Do I just give them two files (fe and be) and the be goes in a shared network folder and they all take a copy of the fe for their local hard drive?

How does the fe know where the be is? I won't know where it will be put and I don't think I can expect any of my users to modify the fe file.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Normally the developer would link the tables and just distribute the FE. If you won't know where they'll put everything, you can include relinking code, for instance:

http://access.mvps.org/access/tables/tbl0009.htm
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Wow - that looks a bit complicated for me at the moment - when I get my DB finished I'll post again to see if anyone can take me through it in easy stages.

thebigthing313 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Sorry for the misinformation, I just realized what I was thinking of that made me say what I did. pbaldy is correct, you CAN have them open the same FE, but you shouldn't. Design changes to objects (forms, reports, etc), would require exclusive access. That's what I was thinking of.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigthing313 View Post
    Just a thought - could I give all the users their own copy of the fe but instead of them using it locally they all have their copy in the same folder as the be on the network?

Will access assume the be is in the same folder as the fe by default? Then I wouldn't need to know where it's being put at all.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    If you put user copy of FE on the server, performance could suffer because form and report objects have to pass over the network to the user's workstation RAM. Complex objects can be slow even when the FE is on the user workstation.

Access does not assume the FE and BE are in the same folder so nothing is gained by putting user FE copy on server. Must set table links regardless of where the files are placed. Set the links with UNC pathing before distributing the FE and then Windows drive letter mapping on each user workstation will not be a concern.

Review https://www.accessforums.net/code-re...end-33331.html
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

lovely - thanks again.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.