yannischris is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

I cannot type in the text-box of a multi-select combobox control

Hi all,

If I setup a lookup for a field when designing a table (i.e. through the Lookup Wizard) and I set "Allow Multiple Values" to "Yes", a multi-select combobox (i.e. with check-boxes) is displayed in the relevant field in the "Datasheet" view of the table. My question is the following: Is the text-box component of a multi-select combobox control actually of any use? While a single-select combobox lets you type a new value that is not in the list or facilitates the auto-complete feature when typing a value that is included in the list, but the multi-select combo box prevents you from typing anything in its textbox, and that behavior doesn't seem to change via the properties of the combobox control.

The reason I need this feature is because I want to type there something not in the list, in order to trigger the control's NotInList event, so that I can update the corresponding lookup table with the new value I typed.

Thanks
    Last edited by yannischris; 11-09-2014 at 11:26 AM. Reason: tags correction (actually I can't find them in order to edit them!)

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Well, can't have it and that's just the way it is.

I NEVER use multi-value fields. Most experienced developers avoid them.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    I agree with June7.
    I don't think you can have a multi select combo. Listbox can be multiselect.
    I would advise against lookups at table field level.

There are many ways to do things.

Do you have a plain English description of the Business process that your database is suppose to support? If so, can you post it so we can understand your environment.

So, you mean that you cannot in any way type the textbox component of a multiselect combobox (and, thus, you cannot trigger the NotInList event of the control, as opposed to the single-select combobox case)?
    Last edited by yannischris; 11-09-2014 at 02:48 PM.

June7 is offline VIP
    Correct. That is the nature of multi-value field data entry.

Orange, can have multi-select combo only if the field in table is set for multi-value with lookup.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Thanx June, but I wouldn't use MVF either. I'm not sure who m$oft was targeting with this "feature".

Thanks June7!
    Indeed, the multi-select combobox is created exclusively by Access (i.e. is not available in Forms toolbox) when setting the "Allow multiple values" attribute of a look-up field to "Yes". So, I guess that it might as well have been implemented as a listbox, rather than as a combobox, because the unusable textbox component of the combobox is of no purpose and misleading...

June7 is offline VIP
    Even better could be building a dependent related table for this data. Essentially that's what a multi-value field does, only it hides the dependent table.

The use form/subform arrangement for data entry.

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Event better could be building a dependent related table for this data. Essentially that's what a multi-value field does, only it hides the dependent table.

The use form/subform arrangement for data entry.
    I know well what a many-to-many relationship is, I understand perfectly that the multi-valued field is a technical abstraction of the extra table that the many-to-many relationship requires. However, the "Allow multiple values" feature exists in Access 2007 for a reason; to serve usability for Office users without background knowledge on databases who cannot easily grasp the context of many-to-many relationship -- and, in my opinion, it serves this purpose perfectly. So, all my questions were made in this context.

June7 is offline VIP
    But those less knowledgeable workers are not building this db. I have built a number of dbs for 'users without background knowledge on databases who cannot easily grasp the context of many-to-many relationship' and none use MVF.

June, you didn't include the word "Office" when quoted me, and, in this way, my meaning was twisted. So, by "Office users" I refer to users of MS Access, rather than users of a database built in Access. So, in that sense, there exist a lot of Access users "without background knowledge on databases who cannot easily grasp the context of many-to-many relationship" (I personally know some, since you mentioned the personal aspect). But that's the idea; That is why Access is included in the Office suite, rather than in some developer package. Because it is (partly) intended for simple Office users who may also use Word, Excel or Powerpoint. That's the reason why the "allow multiple values" feature exists there.

June7 is offline VIP
    Yes, that was MS intent, trying to serve all customers but in reality does a disservice. Because now those users have to learn how to use MVF fields in queries.

Casual users will invariably copy/paste records and are frustrated when they find that records with MVF won't copy/paste, at least not the MVF data.

MVF with lookup alias can also cause confusion because as with any lookup alias, the actual value is not what you see.

Causes more problems than it solves.

But it's your db and your users, do what you think is best for them.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.