craignovice is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Cascading Combo Boxes and Automatic Update of a field in another table based on the selection

Would appreciate some much needed help, I am a novice at Database but have created some simple ones. I am looking to create a Database to track/log orders from clients...

I have a table (tblsalesagent) where I intent to input information like a contacts form....
    Fields>>>
    SalesAgentName
    Address
    Email
    Etc ......
    *Company (E.g Sony)
    *Branch (e.g London)

However I would like to have the two fields marked with (*) also, the idea being that when I pick the company ideally from a drop down list. Then the Branch selection would only give me the branches that are related to that company .

i am not sure what the correct way is to setup the tables to store the information for these fields. Plus it will also require some code I imagine...

The the next step is to have an orders table (tblorders) where I will log each order.
    Fields>>>
    OrderID (bespoke id)
    Description
    Order Date
    **SalesAgentName
    *Company
    *Branch

Therefore the SalesAgentName will be selected from the (tblsalesagent) via a lookup ... I would like the Company and Branch fields in the (tblorders) to autocomplete based on the information stored against this SalesAgent in the (tblsalesagent) ...

Thanks

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Hi pbaldy, with regards to the auto fill, I think using a query is definitely the right way to go, so therefore to get the Company and Branch to appear in the query, what would my key field be in the orders table ?

Windows XP Access 2007
    The field that relates the tables, presumably SalesAgentName. I would use an ID field rather than the name; sooner or later you're going to have 2 people with the same name.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Ok thanks, therefore i can use the SalesID rather than the name as you are suggesting... If i create a form for inputting information into the orders table, do i need to create a combo box for selecting the SalesAgent, i.e so i can see there name as the ID would not mean anything, what is the correct way to approach this ?

Windows XP Access 2007
    You can have the ID column as the bound column of the combo, but be hidden so users just see the name.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Is there anyway to validate on control selecting one tick box based on another one.... For example each order will have a few status's

Ordered
    Production
    Dispatched

So if for example I wanted to ensure that when I changed the status to "Ordered" that the "Quote" tick was automatically removed ?

This information is in a Form Datasheet view with conditional formatting applied, so if it is a quote then the quote ref box will be green...

Windows XP Access 2007
    You could use the after update event of the status control to test its contents and set the checkbox value appropriately.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.