jlgray0127 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Building databases from home

Good afternoon guru's!
    I am looking for leads for developing access databases from home.
    I am wondering if anyone here is having any success finding jobs where you were successful in contracting out yourselves, or have teams you contract out, where you may need assistance.

Just trying to eliminate or reduce some of the foot work, from you all, if possible.
    We all know, everyone needs access developers, but unfortunately, we find most of the people seeking our skill set, are looking for temporary on site assistance.
    This is all fine, if there is enough work out there, to keep a person and their family sustained.
    Any feed back is greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Josh

Dyers is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2000
    Josh, as it happens, I'm looking for some help in that area. My adult son & I have started a small business. We dye wool yarns for knitters and other fiber workers by hand. This involves keeping track of the quantity of the commercial dyes we use to make one of our custom colors. It also involves keeping track of the quantity of those custom colors that are used in one of the variegated color yarns we make.

Several weeks ago, for the second time, I saw that our data was getting away from us, and attempted to build a db. I made an attempt to do this with OpenOffice by myself, but quickly realized how little I know as compared to what I needed to know to do any justice to the db. The only copy of MS Office I own is Office 2000.

We got a good deal of help from one gentleman, and much of the design work is done; I've entered a fair amount of data. However, his job was just ramped up, and he doesn't have the time any more to continue. The idea was to get the db working in OOo, then connect to a MySQL db somehow. I believe he preferred Access, but either doesn't have a copy of 2000, or wanted to use something newer. The MySQL work has not been started yet. If we can get it running in Access 2000, maybe the MySQL won't be required...I don't know a lot, and it's a bit confusing.

Currently, I'm completely stuck, and am not finding solutions to a couple of issues, so the db is not able to be used as intended yet. The db is relational, and so far, includes 6 tables, and 4 forms. If this interests you or another forum member, how would you like to proceed?

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Josh, I am not a professional developer, just had to learn Access for my job. There are several members here who have done professional development but I would guess they don't rely entirely on Access (intended for small to medium size db) development consulting for a livelihood. Access is just so user friendly in comparison to other db apps. Sure, there is a learning curve - anyone remember when word processing required specially trained staff (I was one of those staff) - now everyone uses Word and Excel and PowerPoint, etc.

Having said that, when I worked for CampFire 15 years ago, we purchased a camp registration application that was based on Access for about $20,000 - and that didn't include the charges for special modifications. We couldn't do the edits ourselves because the app was compiled as an executable. So if you can find a niche that needs an application and the buyers willing to pay...

Dyers, if you have specific issues need help with, post threads and see if anyone has ideas. Can even provide db for analysis, follow instructions at bottom of my post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

jlgray0127 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Thanks, June.
    I'm in the same boat. Self taught for a job I had. Been creating and maintaining them for the last 10 years or so. It is a pretty simple application if you have niche for this kinda work, for sure! I know in the past, you specifically have helped me when I was stumped!

With that being said, I've since worked for a couple other companies, and once they see what access can do for them, they become "hungry" for that talent!
    I just love working in access and know, if possible to get the word out there, or show others what it is capable of.... the possibilities could be endless... especially for smaller companies who do not have the capitol to get onboard with a full blown system!

Currently, I'm working for a fortune 100 company, and there is so much demand for access talent, it's almost unimaginable. And this is just from the smaller groups who know what you can do for access. I am a supply chain manager there, so Access is something I just use to solve problems, and with our company, our IT department is not allowed to support access databases, nor does the corporate offices support access because it is a system outside of the current systems.... it's basically a political mess where they can not fill a position for access based rolls. If that makes sense.

The need and benefits of having it, are still there however.

Long winded way of saying I want to be working within access full time and this is not supported... lol.... so I'm researching to see what niches there may be out there...

Thanks again, so much, for today, and as always, any time you support me and the other folks who are here.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    It does make sense, we also do not have support for Access/small database needs - Oracle is the 'standard' here. IT won't even load Access unless you ask for it. That's why the project was thrown at me and handled in-shop in spite of IT policies.

Becoming an Access consultant has crossed my mind, so has becoming a landlord. But I'm not that adventurous (jumping out of airplane was less daunting!)

Good luck with your endeavors.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.