jnoonan22 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Disappearing Form Problem - Trouble with Dialogue

Let me preface me problem with another question: Is there a difference between setting a form's property to modal and opening it normally (acNormal) and having docmd.openform in dialogue mode? On to my problem...

I have forms on which clicking on fields open up other forms. Everything works and flows properly including my macros when I open them in dialogue mode. Unfortunately, one lady who uses my database uses only one monitor (has vertigo problem or something) and, when she clicks to open a form, the form basically disappears (I assume it has something to do with only having one monitor, or somehow the form is getting hidden when it pops up). Being in dialogue mode, it basically freezes the database and makes inputting data in this section of the DB impossible. Not knowing how to ensure the form appears correctly (she works in an office 400 miles away...) my choice was to set the forms' properties to open in modal (but not popup) so that they tab across her screen and simply docmd.openform in normal mode. This resolves the disappearing form but unfortunately does not preserve the integrity of the macros, which depend upon freezing vba until data is acquired in newly-opened forms.

Other possible solutions? Is there a way to set a form to dialogue but make it open in a normal "tabbed" view? Is it possible to control how a window pops up on a screen? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    It is possible the dual monitors does this.
    The MODAL screen keeps one from moving to other objects. You cant move around unless you get rid of the modal form.

Modal is only good for "I NEED AN ANSWER BEFORE CONTINUING" type thing. I never use them.

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    The question about dual/single monitors was asked elsewhere, today (different poster) so here are some credible responses:

http://www.utteraccess.com/forum/Dua...t2023480.html&

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    Quote Originally Posted by jnoonan22 View Post

...Is there a difference between setting a form's property to modal and opening it normally (acNormal) and having docmd.openform in dialogue mode...
    Setting the Modal Property to Yes makes the Form in question Modal, i.e. it must be closed before you can move to any other Form.

Using

DoCmd.OpenForm "ActualFormName", , , , , acDialog

means that the Modal Property is set to Yes and the Form opens with a modified 'Dialog Box' type border and the execution of the code in the calling Form is suspended until the called Form is closed.

Using

DoCmd.OpenForm "ActualFormName", , , , , acWindowNormal

opens the Form using the Properties as set in that Form's Properties Pane.

...my choice was to...simply docmd.openform in normal mode. This resolves the disappearing form but unfortunately does not preserve the integrity of the macros, which depend upon freezing vba until data is acquired in newly-opened forms...

...Other possible solutions...
    When you say

...preserve the integrity of the macros, which depend upon freezing vba until data is acquired...
    are speaking of verifying/validating that the users haven't opened the called Form but not enter any data before exiting the Form, or do they always enter some data but not all data that is required? If they enter some data (even a single character) you can validate that all required Fields are populated using the Form_BeforeUpdate event/B].

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.