altemir is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Preventing "Save Changes to Design" Prompt When Changing Recordsource

I know this is not a new topic but previous posts don't seem to help ...

I have a navigation subform in Access 2010. When you click on a tab in the navigation subform ("NavigationSubform"), it displays another form ("Form1") and its subform ("Subform1"). I change the recordsource of Subform1 programatically based on various combobox values using VBA as follows:
    Forms!frmMain!NavigationSubform!ContainerForm1.For m.RecordSource = "SELECT * FROM yada yada ... "

Forms!frmMain!NavigationSubform!ContainerForm1.For m.Requery

That part works fine. However, I have a double click event in one of the text box controls in Subform1 that causes the focus to move to another tab in the navigation subform. I use the following code to achieve this:
    DoCmd.BrowseTo acBrowseToForm, "Form2", "frmMain.NavigationSubform"

When the user double clicks on this field, he gets a "Do you want to save changes to the design of 'Subform1'" prompt. I assume that assigning a new recordsource to the subform is the "change" it's referring to.
    How can I stop this annoying message?

I tried putting the "DoCmd.Close acForm, Me.Name, AcSaveNo" statement in the close event of Subform1, but then I get a surprising error (to me) that claims that Subform1 is not open. What else can I do?

ranman256 is online now VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    did you try the command: docmd.setwarnings false

altemir is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Thank you!!! You helped me solve it! But there's a little bit more to it ...

I did have "DoCmd.SetWarnings False" in the Enter event of each subform's navigation tab button and "DoCmd.SetWarnings True" in each subform's Open event. I thought this would be enough, but it isn't. So now I have the following and it seems to work:

1) Add "DoCmd.SetWarnings False" to Enter event of each subform's navigation tab button
    2) Add "DoCmd.SetWarnings False" to Open event of each subform
    3) Add "DoCmd.SetWarnings False" to Open event of the main form that contains the navigation subform

This ensures that warnings are turned off when moving between navigation tabs. It may also be important to turn the warnings back on during code execution just to trap any possible errors.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.