Doncow is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013

Question Error Message - I have exceeded the number of columns

I have worked with Access many times, and I have never received this message before. I admit and I an advanced novice at building DBs, but gee whiz, this has never come up on other versions.

I get the following:
    The indexed property of a field is changed from Yes (Duplicates OK) to Yes (No Duplicates) when duplicate data exists in the table.
    An expression is not specified in the Expression property of a calculated field.

If the maximum number of locks per file was exceeded, you can increase the number by editing a registry entry. However, this is not a recommended option.

If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you could cause serious problems that require you to reinstall the operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

Make a backup of the registry. Find the MaxLocksPerFile registry value by using the Windows Registry Editor, and then increase the value. The MaxLocksPerFile value is saved as part of the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Access Connectivity Engine\Engines\ACE

If the Indexed property of a field and duplicate data is located in the table, reset the Indexed property to the previous setting, or remove duplicate records from the table.
    I am trying to save this as a 2010 file on a 2013 platform so I can use it on my other machine. And, of course, Microsoft won't support Access even on a 365 subscription. Lovely. In my Regedit, I get as far as the red type above, and there is no such folder . . . and when I search for MaxLocksPerFile, it shows a file but it appears to be in Word, not Access.

Can someone help me with this? I only have 15 fields, and that just ain't enough. I wonder what the max is and how to change it!!

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Unless there was a major change to the architecture of Access 2013, the max fields in a table or query is 255.

That cannot be altered in any way, at all.

I don't see what this regedit has to do with the error message of exceeding the number of fields limit.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Doncow is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013

Thanks BUT I know that the fields . . .

Yes, I know that the fields themselves are only 255 max. I am talking about the number of columns in a table, not the characters in a field.

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Unless there was a major change to the architecture of Access 2013, the max fields in a table or query is 255.

That cannot be altered in any way, at all.

I don't see what this regedit has to do with the error message of exceeding the number of fields limit.

June7 is offline VIP
    Reread my previous post. I am talking about the number of columns (fields) in a table or query. 255 is the max. Text data type field also has limit of 255 characters. A memo type is 65,536. Number and date and attachment type fields are different. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ac...005186808.aspx
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Doncow is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Reread my previous post. I am talking about the number of columns (fields) in a table or query. 255 is the max. Text data type field also has limit of 255 characters. A memo type is 65,536. Number and date and attachment type fields are different. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ac...005186808.aspx
    Well, dern, then why does it give an error message about too many fields? The only thing I can think of is that is was imported from an Excel spreadsheet and I don't remember if I checked to see if all the darned columns that were not in the table I wanted transferred. And frankly, I don't know how to keep out those columns and rows that I don't want when I import. If you could share that with me, I would appreciate it.

June7 is offline VIP
    I have no idea. A table with 255 fields should not prevent saving db as 2013.

Import wizard allows to indicate column should not be included. However, I doubt wizard will display more than 255 columns. Try hiding the columns in Excel - does the import wizard still show them? Otherwise, make copy of spreadsheet and delete columns. Although if some you want are calculated based on those deleted columns ...

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.