bbv586 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Will Access work for my database with multiple users?

Looking to create an Access database using 2007 version to keep track of projects for my company. It will be used by 4-6 users. Those users need to be able to create new projects in Access that contain information about a project (Project Name, Phase, Bid Date, Bid Time, Bidders, Price, Manufacturer Selected, Notes, etc). Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Job Table.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	215.1 KB 
ID:	18274
    That information will be manually typed in, picked from a drop down list, or have a drop down list with multiple selections allowed for one cell. I looked at the Projects template, and that was close to what I need, but it really has more than I need with employee lists, etc. This makes it difficult to edit because Microsoft packed so much into that template. I'm just looking for a basic table with one row per project and each column having the Project Name, Phase, Bid Date, Bid Time, etc listed in the picture. On the Projects template, when a "new" project is started, the Form pops up to enter in information about a new project.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pop Up Form.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	203.3 KB 
ID:	18275
    The Notes are on that pop up Form and I would need to enter notes about a project in there as the project progresses. All of the editing can be done in that pop-up form if the tables need to be locked for a split database. I want to be able to create reports or even just sort the jobs based on price, only view jobs that are Quoted (jobs that were bid but have not been awarded yet), and other similar reports/sorting capabilities.

I know I need to split the database into a Front End (FE) and Back End (BE), what info would be split? Would the Form that creates a new job be on the FE, and the table of all of the projects be on the BE? All users need to be able to create new projects, but also be able to edit the old projects also. What happens if two people try to access a project at the same time? Do they need to access old projects in the Form that opens a new window instead of editing the table?

Basically, I'm wondering, will Access work for my application?

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    All data in the backend. All GUI in the frontend. Each user runs their own copy of the frontend. Users should not interact with tables and queries, only forms and reports. If multiple users try to edit the same record at same time, that will likely generate a popup and someone's edits will not be saved. Set the level of record locking you want in the database options.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

bbv586 is offline Novice
    When trying to edit that template to add new columns of information that Projects template didn't have before, should I be editing the table first, then the queries, then the report, then the form, or what order do you recommend?

Is that "Project List" form that pops up when editing a job considered a GUI, or do I need to develop something more?

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    All data in the backend. All GUI in the frontend. Each user runs their own copy of the frontend. Users should not interact with tables and queries, only forms and reports. If multiple users try to edit the same record at same time, that will likely generate a popup and someone's edits will not be saved. Set the level of record locking you want in the database options.

June7 is online now VIP
    The GUI is forms and report that user sees as well as the code behind those objects.

Certainly add fields to tables first.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

bbv586 is offline Novice
    If two users have the "Project List" Form open at the same time, would there be an issue? Or is there only an issue if the same record in that Form is opened at the same time by two different users?

June7 is online now VIP
    Depends on level of record locking. If table locking is set then it will be in issue no matter what records are hit.

Two users can view the same record but if both try to edit there will be issue.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.