rik130 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Access 2003 vertical mouse wheel scroll broken - help!

Hello all,

To try and summarise the key points:

- database created many years ago in Access 2000.
    - some years later upgraded to Access 2003 and running ever since.
    - recently upgraded to Access 2010. Converted db and was running fine.
    - couldn't get along with Access 2010, went back to 2003.
    - Access 2003 has been telling me about "unsafe expressions" and do I wish to block them ever since changing back. I have not blocked them and database has been working fine.
    - Decided to do something about the "unsafe expressions" and so blocked them to get rid of the warning.
    - Default datasheet view of my data arrangement has now changed which made me worried that it had done 'something' with my data.
    - Found out that this "unsafe expression" stuff was to do with macros so tried lowering security level.
    - Program comes up with warning about installing Microsoft Jet 4.0 SP8 in order to do that.
    - Tried to install said program, Windows Update says no can do, already have a newer version installed.

- As a side effect of all this I now discover that I cannot mouse scroll wheel the datasheet from its top position. It doesn't matter if I click a cell and retry, it still doesn't work.
    - The only way I can get the mouse scroll wheel to do anything is by sliding down the datasheet a bit by using the vertical scroll bar and then the scroll wheel works fine. However if I sort any of the columns A-Z, the problem returns until I repeat the vertical scroll bar process again.

- Saw a post about this problem online which suggested reopening the db in Access 2010, adding a line, then saving and opening in 2003 and it will fix it. Tried that, doesn't work.
    - I have tried the scroll wheel fix from Windows http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/ad...in=EC001022701 but this doesn't work either, however this didn't surprise me as the scroll wheel worked fine until I blocked the "unsafe expressions".
    - As a last resort I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Office 2003 but the problem is still there when I open the database again.
    - If I open the database in Access 2010, the mouse scroll wheel problem is not there.

Would anyone be kind enough to help fix this issue please? Much appreciated.

Rgds.

Rob

Dal Jeanis is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Wow. Really sorry about your troubles. I fought my way through an upgrade from 2003 to 2010 (that was why I joined this site.)

There's a serious hazard when trying to "undo" a series of test changes like that. That's one of the reasons I always make a practice of working in a test version, and backing up the test/work database multiple times a day while coding. When I have a version that I believe is working, I import only the changes that I believe made the solution work into a brand new "production-promotion" test database, and test the snot out of it. After it is fully tested, I promote it to production, knowing that no "accidental" code changes are going to corrupt my production DB.

How complex is the database?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.