WarehouseKeith is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

New to access and need help in a form Tried [="[EmployeeID]=" & Str(Nz([Screen].[ActiveControl],0))]

I have a query for active employee numbers and names. I am trying to create a form with two fields (employee number and employee name) for a driver, swamper1, and swamper2(six fields in total) all form the same query. The user selects the employee number from a combo box and the "name" field auto populates. I tried this macro

[="[EmployeeID]=" & Str(Nz([Screen].[ActiveControl],0))]

but it only works for the first two fields, and then the name just duplicates for swamper1 and swamper2.
    As I stated I am very new to Access and have tried searching the web, but this is a difficult search to word correctly. Hopefully someone here can point me in the right direction.

Thanks

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Multiple similar name fields indicates data structure is not normalized. This will cause lots of frustration.

Not sure what you mean by 'the name just duplicates'.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2000
    Would you post the SQL of the query?

I have a table that has all employees(active or inactive), I have a query from this table that shows only active employees for other forms and reports. I am trying to develop a logistics facet to the database. I would have up to 3 employees on a delivery route so I want create a form where the user can enter this(as well as a host of other info) from my already existing tables and queries. I hope this helps explain what I am trying to accomplish.

SELECT EmployeeInformation.EmployeeID, EmployeeInformation.FirstName, EmployeeInformation.LastName, Schedules.StartTime, EmployeeInformation.Task
    FROM EmployeeInformation INNER JOIN Schedules ON EmployeeInformation.EmployeeID = Schedules.EmployeeID
    WHERE (((EmployeeInformation.Status)="1"));

June7 is online now VIP
    You have multiple fields in Schedules table for up to 3 employees? You would have to apply the same filter criteria to all 3 employee fields using OR operator.

I suspect the reason for 'the name just duplicates' is that textboxes are bound to the same field.

As already noted, non-normalized structure will be problematic.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

images of tables

Sorry for the large attatchments. I am trying to create a data entry form for route informationtbl that draws from employee informationtbl.I very well may be going about this the wrong way. I will need to be able to check a specific date and know which employees were on which trucks.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	emptbl.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	163.6 KB 
ID:	18120Click image for larger version. 

Name:	route infotbl.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	161.3 KB 
ID:	18121

June7 is online now VIP
    Advise no spaces or special characters/punctuation (underscore is exception) in naming convention. Better would be DriverEmpNum.

I don't use macros. I've never used Screen.ActiveControl.

DriverName field should not be in RouteInfoTbl, just employee number. Same for Swamper1Name.

Options for displaying the employee info related to employee number:

1. include the employee table in the form RecordSource, join type "Include all records from RouteInfoTbl ..." - however, this would require including the EmployeeInfoTbl in the query 3 times, one for each employee field

2. multi-column combobox and then an expression in textbox can reference column of combobox

3. DLookup()

What exactly is the issue you are dealing with? If it's filtering a query, already commented on that.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2000
    I would suggest looking at normalizing the table structures a little more.

In the "RouteInfoTbl", you have "DriverEmpNum" and also "DriverName". I would guess that "DriverEmpNum" is the FK linked to "EmployeeInformationTbl.EmployeeID" (PK). The driver name can be derived from the link, so it is redundant in the "RouteInfoTbl". Same goes for "Swamper1Name"

In "RouteInfoTbl", there are fields for 3 employees. What happens if you have to add a 4th employee, say "DriverApprentice"? The design of the structure should be such that the dB doesn't have to be redesigned if another job type is added.

Also, be aware of reserved words in Access. "Type" is one example. Here is a list of reserved words:
    http://www.allenbrowne.com/AppIssueBadWord.html

Sorry, I'm not trying to trash you... just a couple of things I see.

I'm now paying for design errors in a dB that is live. I need to add a new sub type, but didn't design the table correctly. So I get to spend a couple of weeks revising all queries, forms and reports.

Thanks to all for your help. I will be trying some, if not all, of your suggestions over the next few days and hopefully will be able to mark this thread as solved.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.