SonyaEnz is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Merging in a Word Letter Using an Access Query (not VBA)

I have an Access database collecting information and then using as a query to merge into a Word Letter. The Merge works fine but dates convert from long date (January 1, 2014) to a short date (1/1/2014) and it is nerve wracking and just . In my database format is set to mm dd, yyyy. Also, for the letter have a dollar figure. I figured out to round the number but when merged it converts from 80,500 to 80500. Even if I set the format to currency, it converts to a number with no comma. Don't mind the .00 after the number not being there. Any thoughts, are appreciated.

Sonya

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I would try passing literal text to the word doc. Format your data while it is still in Access by placing it into a string and pass the string to the Word Doc.

June7 is offline VIP
    Can you do formatting of the merge fields in Word? Why use Word and not just Access report?

Or, ItsMe's suggestion sounds good. If the merge will accept calculated fields from a query. Seems I encountered an issue with that somewhere - maybe it was Collect Data email process.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Tried formatting the merge fields in Word and so far has not worked the way I want it but will try again. Would like to make the letter as an Access report but its very, for lack of better word, wordy.

Will try the literal text, but the people who in the end who will be utilizing this database are very needy and believe me if they don't want to type out the entire date format, they want the short route. They just may have to live with it.

June7 is offline VIP
    Users input data in short form. Expression in query calculates the long format. Format() function results in a string.

Format([date field],"mmmm d, yyyy")

Then the question is can Word accept the calculated field.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Format([date field],"mmmm d, yyyy") worked - the query posts it as a full date in the letter. Finally got back to this after all work and vacation. Even got it to work for currency so that it will place the comma. Thanks for the help.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.