Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Here's a site that you may find interesting.

IncidentalProgrammer is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Good info! What I had read on Citrix/Access before was gloom and doom. This one is a lot more positive.

I had an issue for a while where when I had Access open, Citrix would routinely kick me out of my desktop, and when I tried to log back in, I'd get a message about having too many instances open. IT fixed it, but it had me concerned about the future of the projects.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2000
    and I got a large sheet of cardboard where I'm charting the tables, Primary Keys, and relationships for both on either side
    Cardboard....that is one I never thought of!

Don't know if anyone pointed you towards tutorials
    Rogers Access Library
    http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/forum/forum46.html
    Crystal's site
    http://www.accessmvp.com/strive4peace/

Here are reference sites I use:
    Allen Browne
    http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html
    Roger's site
    http://rogersaccesslibrary.com/
    Stephen Lebans
    http://lebans.com/

Windows XP Access 2007
    Haha! Yeah, it works great, since I can map one database on one side, and one on the other. I had requested a whiteboard, but didn't have a lot of space to hang it, so my boss recommended I talk to the lady who designed our website about how she did her mapping. She had a spare board she gave me, and I just cancelled my request for the whiteboard. The trick that makes it really work is post-it notes with fully adhesive backs; those are my Tables, Forms, etc, and I can move them around as I change things in the database, instead of having to erase and redraw. I'd never heard of such a thing either, but I love it!

Thanks for the links! I can always use more tutorials. I need all the help I can get!

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by IncidentalProgrammer View Post
    ... I can always use more tutorials...
    Be careful what you wish for...
    https://www.accessforums.net/tutoria...tml#post236569

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Regarding the cardboard comment -- anything will do providing you can erase the things (lines and boxes) and move on. I remember an assignment years ago where we were in a classroom that has multiple blackboards(2 or 3 deep on sliders)-- worked great. You could remove stuff with a stroke of the brush. We were several groups working on a model using test data and scenarios. Everyone had the opportunity to challenge/adjust/vet the model. Once vetted in the large group, the individual groups went with the common model to build their own database/application.
    I have used various software packages ( DesignManager (old product from MSP), ERWin , IEW, Rochade) and recall one time, when designing a Grants and Contibutions application for new government program that subsumed 20 older programs, where we put the entities (rectangular pieces of paper from one package) and linked the various boxes with colored string. This was all held together with pins on the walls of a fabric cubicle wall. It was interesting in that the database group had identified an entity based on the model that the business and programming staff had overlooked/missed. I remember them coming and saying they needed a new XXX -- and the modellers pointed to the model and the entity involved. Sort of an ah ha! moment for management, database and application teams ---really established modelling and a data management regime.

You can do a lot with pencil and paper. ( or cardboard...)

Good luck.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Thanks, ItsMe! I still say there's no such thing as too many tutorials.

I LOVE the string idea, Orange! If I can get some space cleared, that would be even better for mapping out the relationships. I need to poke IT again about getting this printer out of my cube, so I have that corner free to work with. We have short cubicles anyway, so there's not much verticle space to begin with.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    I don't have any books dedicated to programming in Access but this one sounds interesting: Access™ 2007 Programming by Example with VBA, XML, and ASP by Julitta Korol, Wordware Publishing, Inc. I expect there is a later edition.
    Quick question! I tracked down a used copy of this book (new was $71! YIKES!) and tried to download the source files, but the web page the book provides is no longer available. I'm new to even having to download source files, so I don't know really where to go from here. Have you ever had this happen before? Do you contact the publisher? Will they even provide something that old?

Another reason to be frustrated about having to use these old programs. As if the books being expensive wasn't enough.

June7 is online now VIP
    You could try the publisher or author but I expect they would want you to buy the 2013 edition and that would probably have a new web link.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Dangit.

On Citrix, we're using Office 2007, but the computer itself is on Office 2010. And the SQL Server is 2008. Did a lot change in Access from 2007 to 2013? I haven't even gotten to play with Office anything 2013 yet, so I have no idea. Would it mess me up to look at 2013? Heck, I wouldn't even be able to use the source files, would I? The latest I have, even at home, is 2010.

June7 is online now VIP
    The GUI changed a little (red File tab instead of Office button in upper left).

2010 expanded Conditional Formatting to 50 rules, introduced data macros and calculated fields in table.

2013 drops pivot tables/charts, removes all support for dBase tables, removes Collect Data feature.

2010/2013 can open 2007 created database, the reverse is not always the case.

Otherwise, much the same. Although, I've seen complaints that code failed in 2013.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Calculated fields in tables? That would make my life so much easier, right now.

I had a feeling it wouldn't be backwards compatible. I've been playing video games long enough to know not to get my hopes up for that. :P

Do you know if the code problems in 2013 were from code that was done in a prior version of Access and then the database was upgraded to 2013? And if so, do you know what the problem was with the code? If I can avoid future problems for when I do eventually get to upgrade this thing, I'd sure like too.

June7 is online now VIP
    The calculated field type has limitations. Queries are still best for manipulating data.

Access 2007 can sometimes open db created with 2010/2013 - as long as newer features are not in the design.

Code problems occurred with db created in earlier version. I don't remember specifics.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Ah, ok. At least I'm not missing out too much then.

Thanks for the heads-up! Now that I know, I can do some research, and see if there's anything in particular I need to steer clear of as I'm designing these.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Also, I gotta' say great recommendation on the book. I'm working out of it now (haven't neccesarily needed the source files yet), and it's putting the For Dummies VBA book to shame. The example codes actually work! I think I've learned more from the first chapter of this one, than I did halfway through Dummies.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.