missypooh1969 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Form doesn't load when on server

I moved a new database over to the server to be used by a small team of people. When I pull up any of the forms, it displays nothing, no fields. I am attaching a screenshot of what that looks like and one of what it looks like when I open from my computer.

It may have something to do with an error message I am getting that says: "This database has been opened read-only. You can only change the data in the linked tables. To make design changes, save a copy of the database."

No where can I find where it has been set to "read only", not options and not file.

I thought it may have something to do with no data on the tables, but I put test data in and same thing happen.

The other thing I did was change the form preferences to "no" data entry. But then it came up with just the test records and would not allow me to make a new record. (I will add that screen print too)

Thanks in advance for your help
    Mis
    Attached Files Attached Files

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Can't look at the screen shots right now, but make sure users have read/write permissions on the server folder. Not having that can cause the read only problem you describe. Also, is the app split?
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

John_G is offline VIP
    Hi -

Did you split the database into Front-end (forms, queries, modules) and Back-end (tables)?

If you did, then every user should have their own copy of the front end on their own machine. You should never have multiple users accessing the same front-end file on the server - you are almost certain to experience problems eventually.

When a form opens blank, it usually means that there are no records in the underlying table, and the the data entry property must be set to Yes the first time.

For the "Read-only" error - are you getting that when there are other users with the database open, or just yourself? It might have something to do with the network permissions on the folder where you have the database.

Ok. I have now split the database. I am still not getting the forms to come up. The data entry property is set to "yes". The users will be adding data only. I have not tried putting the front end on a user machine yet, because of the problem I am having with the forms. All permissions within Access, the file itself and the folder that contains the backend are set to share.

I just allowed it to clock while I was typing this. The form finally did come up. Probably is a "first time" load issue. The split is was the solution here. Thanks everyone for walking me through this. Just another day in MS Access World.

The split database works on my machine, but not on the users. The backend is on the server, the frontend is being copied and pasted to the user's desktop. (not a shortcut, it the front end on each user's desktop).

So, the user is getting a copy of the front end that was created on my computer. It works fine on my computer, but it does not work on any of the user's computers. The forms come up blank and the preference is set to "data entry" because that is what they will be doing with the form, entering new data, no edits or deletes.

I tried cleaning out the cookies, no go. Tried pulling the form up with "data entry" as "no", just to form the cookie. It comes up but obviously not in data entry mode. I then closed it, changed the preference back to yes for data entry, till blank form. (this method is actually what ended up working for my computer). Any ideas? I am at a loss.

Windows XP Access 2007
    You say the folder with the back end is "set to share", but with what permissions? Users need read and write permissions on that folder/file. Same for the front end.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

It was the server file permissions. Everything is up and going now. Thanks you guys!

Windows XP Access 2007
    Happy to help!
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.