jdmaatman is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013

Database Will Not Open After Transfer, Access 2013

I am having a strange problem that I have not been able to solve. I have developed a number of databases that are used by my company. I am now semi-retired and do any required development or maintenance at home. My procedure for doing this is to make a copy of the front end, import the backend tables, and then save the copy to Dropbox. After working on the front end at home, the process is reversed to update the database at the company. I have been working this way for several years without a problem but I now have a situation where I am not able to open the database at home. After I move the database from Dropbox at home it will not open. Nothing happens at all, no error message or anything else, Access simple displays the "Recent Files" list. I have tried zipping the file. I have saved it to my OneDrive and saved a local copy from there. The database still will not open on my home computer. I have a previous version of the same database on the computer and it opens just fine. Only the transferred file will not open. Does anyone have any ideas?

The tables have been integrated into the database from a backend. It is very strange because the database on my office computer will open just fine using "Remote Desktop Connection" but as soon as I transfer it, it will no longer open. I have since transferred several other databases as a test and they work fine.

Somehow the problem seems to be related to Access 2013 in Office 365 and a standard install of Access 2013. I am using Office 365 on several computers at home and none of them will open this database. At the office we are using Access 2013 from Office Professional and all of the computers at the ofice will open the file.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    That is odd. Perhaps it is a permissions thing in the file attributes. Perhaps you can place a copy of the unzipped file in a temp folder and then look at the properties of the temp folder. While logged in as Admin, you can adjust the attributes of child objects in the temp folder via the Security tab. You will need to go a couple layers deeper via the Advanced tab, I believe, until you get the "Include child objects" checkbox.

It may be possible that a version of Access, although the same year version (2013), did a JITter dance on the file when you did the Import of tables. Maybe you can zip the FE without the import process and see if your home PC behaves differently with that file.

I apologize that I do not know enough about Office 365 or the cloud to provide any other suggestions.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.