jwilliams is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Using an "IIf" criteria to choose between two different "Like" selects

I am setting up an Access database for a small school.

The database contains a record per person. When we get a duplicate lastname field we set a family_id field to lastname followed by a number.
    So for example the first Smith family needs to family_id. But the second Smith family gets a family_id of smith1.
    To select an ordered list of Families I need a query that will use the family_id if it is set and if not use the the lastname to collect family members.

My query uses a presorted table, CurStuByGrdTbl , of current students to produce the families directory by grade and alphabetized.
    The WellSchoolCommunityAll table is the entire database. So if the student entry has a valid family_id, matching pattern "*#" then
    I perform a Like with family.id otherwise I perform a Like with lastname.

This query gets me nothing, no records.

IIf(([CurStuByGrdTbl].[family_id]="*#"),[CurStuByGrdTbl].[family_id] Like [WellSchoolCommunityAll].[family_id],[CurStuByGrdTbl].[lastname] Like [WellSchoolCommunityAll].[lastname])

got any clues?

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I don't really understand why you need this. Why don't you just sort and group records on the family_ID?

If you need to filter to a specific family, why use LIKE operator? Why not just filter on the family_ID?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

jwilliams is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jwilliams View Post
    I am setting up an Access database for a small school.
    The database contains a record per person. When we get a duplicate lastname field we set a family_id field to lastname followed by a number.
    So for example the first Smith family needs to family_id. But the second Smith family gets a family_id of smith1.
    To select an ordered list of Families I need a query that will use the family_id if it is set and if not use the the lastname to collect family members.

My query uses a presorted table, CurStuByGrdTbl , of current students to produce the families directory by grade and alphabetized.
    The WellSchoolCommunityAll table is the entire database. So if the student entry has a valid family_id, matching pattern "*#" then
    I perform a Like with family.id otherwise I perform a Like with lastname.

This query gets me nothing, no records.

IIf(([CurStuByGrdTbl].[family_id]="*#"),[CurStuByGrdTbl].[family_id] Like [WellSchoolCommunityAll].[family_id],[CurStuByGrdTbl].[lastname] Like [WellSchoolCommunityAll].[lastname])

got any clues?

I was hoping that I would not have to assign family_id values since a lastname without a family_id value would be unique.
    But if Access cannot do this then having every entry have a family id is the only solution.
    Thanks

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2000
    Sure would be easier to have family_ID as an Autonumber - PK (and faster) and not have to mess with typing in the lastname and adding a number to the name to make it unique. Searching is a lot easier also.

My $0.02..........

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    If each family last name were guaranteed to be unique, there would not be an issue. But I find that unlikely. Names make very poor unique identifiers.

I would not build unique identifier with even part of name.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.