Lina72 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013

Invalid value error field ‘ID’

I have a very simple Database, a book list imported from Excel, and am just beginning to learn Access (2013). A field ID (Primary Key) was created by the import Wizard using Auto Number when I imported the data. All was fine until I added one new record. Now whatever field I sort on, in datasheet view of the table, this error pops up:
    The value you entered isn’t valid for the field ‘ID’

The Auto Number ID field Access created is a Long Integer field only containing whole numbers. All else seems fine with the data and I am stumped. Have tried researching this without success. If anyone has a clue I’d appreciate your input! Thanks,

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Have you run Compact & Repair? Is the ID field value used as a foreign key in a related table? If not, are you able to delete the ID field?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Lina72 is offline Novice
    Thanks you for the response. No I have not used Compact & Repair since it's a brand new data base with only one new record added since importing to Access. The ID field is not used anywhere else and simple acts at the primary key so I don't think I should delete it?
    But.. I did have a look up table linked (StatusT) to this table, it only contains 3 records o,r & o/r. I deleted the ID field/primary key in this table, since a key has no import for this purpose, and the error message from my BookList table about an invalid ID field has stopped!! Now when I open my BookListT table a new error message appears: Enter Parameter Value, StatusT.ID OK/Cancel. Choosing Cancel allows me to open the BookListT table without any other issues. Maybe I should just delete the StatusT table?

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    If you don't use the table, the alternative for a combobox RowSource is typed ValueList.

The table field Lookup SQL probably still has reference to the deleted ID field in the RowSource. Remove it and the popup should not happen.

I never build lookups in tables, I build comboboxes on form.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Lina72 is offline Novice
    Super! That's what I needed to know. I sure appreciate your help. Have a great day!!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.