ultimateguy is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

docmd.OpenQuery produces error 2001

Totally new to Access VBA. I have the following code... basically I am creating a query called codeNotUsedAt and I just want to open it in a table to see the results.

Code:
    Dim qryQuery1 As DAO.QueryDef
    Dim qryQuery2 As DAO.QueryDef
    Dim qryNotUsedAt As DAO.QueryDef

Set qryQuery1 = dbTrivia.CreateQueryDef("", "SELECT CompletedTrivias.CustomerID, UsedQuestions.QuestionID " _
    & "FROM CompletedTrivias RIGHT JOIN UsedQuestions ON CompletedTrivias.ID = UsedQuestions.TriviaID;")

Set qryQuery2 = dbTrivia.CreateQueryDef("", "SELECT Clients.ID, Questions.ID " _
    & "FROM Clients, Questions;")

Set qryNotUsedAt = dbTrivia.CreateQueryDef("codeNotUsedAt", "SELECT qryQuery2.Clients.ID, " _
    & "qryQuery2.Questions.ID, qryQuery1.QuestionID FROM qryQuery2 LEFT JOIN qryQuery1 ON " _
    & "(qryQuery2.Questions.ID = qryQuery1.QuestionID) AND " _
    & "(qryQuery2.Clients.ID = qryQuery1.CustomerID) WHERE " _
    & "(((qryQuery2.Clients.ID)=" & Me.cboClientName.Value & ") AND " _
    & "((qryQuery1.QuestionID) Is Null));")

DoCmd.OpenQuery "codeNotUsedAt"
    On the DoCmd.OpenQuery line I get the error code 2001 one saying "You cancelled the previous operation."

Why is this error being thrown? Also I am a bit confused about the difference between qryNotUsedAt and codeNotUsedAt in this code, what's the difference?

June7 is online now VIP
    Why are you using VBA to create query objects? Why not use Access query builder? The query object can have a dynamic parameter that references the combobox.

Or better, bind the query to a form or report and apply the filter to the form or report.

The difference is one (qryNotUsedAt) is an object variable and the other (codeNotUsedAt) is the name assigned to the query that is created.

Query names are not supplied for the first two. That is possibly the source of error.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

ultimateguy is offline Advanced Beginner
    Wow, you're right. I've been going about this the wrong way. I actually have this query constructed already in the query builder, but one of the criterion references the combo box in another form because that form also makes use of the query. Should I just duplicate the query under a different name and change the criterion?

I'm working on some code for a trivia database that would allow me to pull x number of random questions from a Questions table that haven't been used at a certain establishment. Hence I need to pull some random records from the results of this query. I thought I would have to code the query as well but I realize now that is not the case.

June7 is online now VIP
    Code that modifies db structure should be avoided.

Build your query.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Should I just duplicate the query under a different name and change the criterion?
    That is probably the easiest, if the query is used by two forms.

If the query is not particularly complex, and you are using it to create a recordset in VBA, you could also just use the SQL right in the VBA, without referencing the stored query definition.

John

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.