jree3000 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Scanning barcode into search box works but causes multiple "cannot open any more databases" errors

So the title pretty much describes my problem. I'm scanning bar codes into the record search box, most of the time it works as it should but occasionally I get multiple "cannot open any more databases" errors. It still finds the product record but the error messages are super annoying. I am sure to clear the memory on the scanner each time before I scan in a new barcode but it doesn't seem to matter. Also sure to only have one or 2 forms open at a time, that doesn't seem to matter either. Most of the time I don't get the errors but when I have to click through like 10+ error messages (all identical). I only have one database open so I'm not sure what it even means. Also I have tried this in 2 different forms and it's the same for both forms. Seems like I get the errors in my initial scan and then after clearing them it seems to work without errors. Anyone have any experience with these type of thing? Ideas?

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2000
    Sounds like there is an error in the VBA code. Maybe a variable is not initialized.
    Do you have an error handling routine in the code?

Seems like I get the errors in my initial scan and then after clearing them it seems to work without errors.
    After the first scan and dealing with the errors, the variable(s) have a value, so no more errors.

Set a break-point and single step through your code until you get the error.
    (not much to go on here.....)

You could post the dB so we could analyze it......

Good luck with your project.

jree3000 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    Hi Steve,
    I am just using the standard search function that is already built-in. I have not written any code for it. I am basically just scanning the barcode data into the built-in search field. Like I said, it works everytime so the data is transmitting as it should but once in a while I get all these error codes which are very annoying. Unfortunately I can't post the DB because I have a NDA in place and there is company confidential information included. Any thoughts as to what I could do to eliminate the errors?

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2000
    Without being able to debug or trace the errors, not much we can do.

You will need to single step through the code and look at the variables....

Do you get the same errors when you manually enter the data and search?

Unfortunately I can't post the DB because I have a NDA in place and there is company confidential information included
    Don't need the data, just a couple of fake records to be able to trace the code.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Sometimes bar code scanners return a value that is not part of the barcode you are trying to scan. The manual for your scanner should have a list of what these values arte and their meaning.

I recommend scanning into an unbound textbox control and employing VBA for data validation.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.