Ash is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013

Form combo boxes linked to queries with criteria from previous combo boxes are not working

I have a form with combo boxes created via wizard. I want each combo box list to be limited based on the prior combo box criteria. (except the initial combo box)...

cmbFIRST - from a table

cmbSECOND
    - from query - field 1; [Forms]![frmDATASHEET]![cmbFIRST]

cmbTHIRD
    - from query 2 - field 1; [Forms]![frmDATASHEET]![cmbFIRST] field 2; [Forms]![frmDATASHEET]![cmbSECOND]

cmbFOURTH
    - from query 2 - field 1; [Forms]![frmDATASHEET]![cmbFIRST] field 2; [Forms]![frmDATASHEET]![cmbSECOND]; field 3; [Forms]![frmDATASHEET]![cmbTHIRD].

When I open the queries I am prompted for the criteria... so it is looking for something.

When I close the query and open the form the form shows blank combo lists, the criteria data is entered in the same row.

None of the combo box's based on queries are working - simply showing blank data. The row source points to the correct field in the correct query; example: SELECT [qryONE].[fieldONE] FROM qryONE ORDER BY [fieldONE]

Any thoughts on why the combo box's are not showing any data?

Thank you!!

eki einstein is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    can you upload the sample database?

Ash is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    I can do that... but first, I may have found something:

This datasheet resides as a subform to a masterform (Masterform holds no functionality, but allows a header where the datasheet does not). The combo box's are working well if entered in the subform directly, excluding the masterform... When entered via the masterform I loose the combo box lists - do I need to update my criteria to include the master form too? If so, how would I do that... if not I am happy to create a sample.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Review http://www.datapigtechnologies.com/f...combobox2.html

RowSource of cmbFirst would be like:

SELECT field FROM tablename;

The RowSource of cmbSecond would be like:

SELECT field FROM tablename WHERE somefield=[cmbFirst];

Need code to requery the dependent comboboxes.

If you set the form as Continuous can arrange controls to look like Datasheet then the form header will display and main/sub form arrangement not required.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

eki einstein is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    is quite bit confusing if not seeing the database it self, 1. check master form properties are the subform and master form are linked?, click the Sub form, check Properties (when master form open with the subform) >DATA>"LINK Master field" and "Link child fields" if there are links delete (as you say the master form not functional except for allow header), or why you just not make Continuous form and make it like the sub form view because you can add a header there.

Ash is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    GOT IT

I did not include the main form in my query criteria...
    Corrected
    To: [Forms]![frmMain]![frmDATASHEET].[Form]![cmbDISTRICT]

I can see how the information was abundunt thus confusing, in addition to the lack of necessary information - my apologies... Thank you for your replies, each reply gets me thinking in a fashion I have never thought about before - It's like learning a new language!

June7 is online now VIP
    Actually, shouldn't need all that form referencing as long as the comboboxes are all on the same form. See the syntax in my post 4.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Ash is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    June7 - Although I have the combo boxes working now, I would like to try what you are suggesting... with that said, I will need help with the requery code.

I did some reading, but none of those codes worked.

June7 is online now VIP
    Be aware, dependent combo or list boxes in continuous or datasheet view do not work nice if the dependent comboboxes have lookup with alias.

How are they working if you don't have requery code?

I use the GotFocus event of the dependent combobox.

Me.cmbSecond.Requery

Ash is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    Changing the row source did not work alone, showing a blank list, I thought the Me.Requery might be the missing link to make it work - but it does not.

Once entering the GotFocus - I get "If ME is a new macro or macro group, make sure you saved it"... Note: I have multiple queries.

Also, I am not sure what a lookup alias is - I am assuming it is a cmbFIRST="First" type thing, which I do not have any codes of that kind. The only code I have as of now is an after update to allow the entered info to duplicate in the new row.

June7 is online now VIP
    What I suggested is VBA code.

In the OnGotFocus event, select [Event Procedure] from the dropdown. Click the ellipsis (...) to open VBA editor. Type code into the procedure.

Ash is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    June7 - Tried again this morning with a fresh mind - fixed a rowsource issue and entered the requery as VBA... Worked great!

Thank you for the suggestion, very educating!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.