Collins is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Exporting to Excel and getting number rather than word

I have records with a city associated with it. I had created a city table and put all the cities I plan to have available in that table and then in my form made the control a combo box. I connected the city table with my test table in a relationship. After entering several records with different cities I exported the table to excel. I got number in the city box rather than the name of the city. How do I get it to export the name rather than the number?

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Have you set lookups with alias in the test table? I NEVER do this because I want to see the actual value in field, not the alias. The alias will not export from table, the actual value will.

Export a query that joins both tables so all related data is available.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Have you set lookups with alias in the test table? I NEVER do this because I want to see the actual value in field, not the alias. The alias will not export from table, the actual value will.

Export a query that joins both tables so all related data is available.
    The combo box control bites me in the butt every time I try to use it. I'm sure I'm not setting it up right but I'm beginning to think I'll just make the user enter it into a texbox. Screw it.

June7 is online now VIP
    Recommend you not give up on combobox. They are invaluable as a data entry tool.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Recommend you not give up on combobox. They are invaluable as a data entry tool.
    I agree with you totally... But if I can't get them to populated the field properly and then export or report that information correctly then they truly are worthless at that point.

June7 is online now VIP
    The field is populated properly.

You need to export a query that joins the tables. Or a report with RecordSource that joins tables.

mindea is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    Sounds to me like your Cities lookup table has two fields: an ID (autonumber) field and a city field. If you created your combo box using the combo box wizard, it asked you which value you wanted to store in your form and you must have selected the ID field. If you want to store the City name, you should change the Bound Column of the Combo box from 1 to 2.
    For example if the Record Source of the combo box reads like this: SELECT [tblCities].[ID], [tblCities].[City] FROM [tblCities]; make sure the Bound Column is set to 2.

Quote Originally Posted by mindea View Post
    Sounds to me like your Cities lookup table has two fields: an ID (autonumber) field and a city field. If you created your combo box using the combo box wizard, it asked you which value you wanted to store in your form and you must have selected the ID field. If you want to store the City name, you should change the Bound Column of the Combo box from 1 to 2.
    For example if the Record Source of the combo box reads like this: SELECT [tblCities].[ID], [tblCities].[City] FROM [tblCities]; make sure the Bound Column is set to 2.
    That fixed it. Thanks a ton guys!!!!

June7 is online now VIP
    If you are going to save the city name instead of ID then the ID field is useless and not even needed in the combobox RowSource. And then ID should not be designated as primary key.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.