edmscan is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit

Splash Screen .. and Opening Form in Background

I want to do this .. and am looking for some help. Cannot understand mostly why the Splash screen does not immediately load.

The biggest issue .. is that the splash screen does not load up immediately. However .. I tried just the splash screen without the code below and it opens immediately as expected.
    Looking for suggestions at this point ..

This is what I want to have happen.

Minimize Database Window (I do not want to see it .. ever. I use Shift to get into the DB if needed).
    Open a splash screen (I specify this to open automatically in the database options) This takes a long time to happen.
    I would like to open a main form in the background ... as it has lots of subforms and take some time to load.
    After .. 10 seconds after splash screen opening I would like to close the Splash Screen .. (done on timer of splash screen and is fine)
    Show .. MainForm from above .. and this works.

However .. this is the issue, it takes 49 seconds til I see the splash screen after clicking on the DB file .. it stays for the 10 seconds and then the main form displays fine.

I am thinking that the splash screen loses its focus .. once it tries to open the 2nd form. I would like it to open and remain on the screen .. the 10 seconds part is what I am going to change so that
    it will remain on the screen for the amount of time that it takes the main form to load.

The code below is the only code in the Splash Screen

Private Sub Form_Load() // This is code from Splash Screen Load
    DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdAppMinimize
    DoCmd.OpenForm "frmMainSwitchboard"
    Forms!frmMainSwitchboard.Visible = False
    End Sub

Private Sub Form_Timer() // Code from Timer from Splash Screen
    DoCmd.Close
    Forms!frmMainSwitchboard.Visible = True
    End Sub

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    What is the issue? 49 seconds? Probably because you have frmMainSwitchboard opening in the splash form Load event. Try Close event.

I've never seen // to indicate comment. That is not actually in the code, just in forum post?

Why is the Visible code in two events?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Sorry // is C programmer thing. I sometimes get confused on what language I am supposed to be using.

Yes .. DUH ... yes on close would be totally better.

I tested it .. works great.

But I will change my code as you mentioned .. thanks June7 as always.
    Last edited by edmscan; 07-30-2014 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Removed excess info.

It works perfectly now ... thanks.

For anyone that is interested ..... used this technique described in the link below to make my database perform much faster on startup. Well .. it is subjective .. as you wait a bit more inside the application depending on how you have done things.

You can use it to selectively specify the parent on the subforms on a tab control .. or not as you desire.

Just leave the SourceObject on your Subform blank .. and populate it when its tab is clicked on. Works quite well .. as otherwise you have to wait for the database to load for a long time at the beginning. I think that this
    is a reasonable compromise.

I used it to get my time for the database to open from 49 seconds ... to 8 seconds. There are 4 very intense subforms .. and for these 4 of my 17 tabs I just populate the parent as needed when the tab is clicked.

http://www.fmsinc.com/microsoftacces...ateBinding.asp

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.