LethalMeatball is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

protecting previous data from being changed

I am working with a database that contains our billing to clients. I am looking for (and am not sure if it is possible) a way to allow my employee to add new information to the database, but to password protect all previous data that has been entered in. I have looked online and have seen that I can protect specific fields from accidentally being changed so that a prompt comes up to alert you about a change being made, but I would like to password protect all previous data so only new charges can be added. I am not an Access wizard, but if anyone could steer me in the right direction or let me know if it is even possible I would be forever in your debt! Thanks so much, and let me know if there is more information you need to understand my issue. Thanks again!

Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2003
    You could put some code in the form's On Current event that locks all controls unless it is a new record.
    Alternatively, you could open the form so that no existing records can viewed, just new records added.
    If you decide to pursue the password idea, will each user have their own password.
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

Thanks for the fast response Bob, I think that adding the code to the on current event is probably the only way, because currently we don't have multiple users with different capabilities, anyone who has access to the file can edit. We only have 2 people that access the database, so there hasn't really been a need.

If I was to do your alternative solution, would I just create a general access that only showed the current fields, no previous ones, and then create a password protected user that has access to all info? Am I understanding your alternate suggestion correctly?

Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2003
    When I said
    Alternatively, you could open the form so that no existing records can viewed, just new records added.
    What I meant was to just change the forms Data Entry property to yes or set the property when the code that opens the form runs. Try this first. It's so easy to try and then change back if not suitable.
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

OK, I'll try that. I just had a pipe burst in my front lawn, so I might not get to it today. Thanks for your help and I'll post back on here once I have fiddled around with it. Thanks for your quick responses.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.