Comiccradle is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013

Linked Database Read Only Issue can still add and remove information

I'm looking for some guidance in the following issue. I have two databases which are linked, that is to say, some tables between the two.

I am trying to make the linked one read only. I have read online and in books but find the problem unsolvable.

As far as I understand it, via windows explorer I right click on the database and check the read only box. However this is not a satisfactory solution, it does create a situation that they can not change the properties of the tables, but it is still possible to add and remove information in the linked table.

I only want information to be changed in the original database.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, it's driving me up the wall. Thank you in advance.

Respectfully yours, CC

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    How are your users access the data?
    As a general rule of thumb, you always want to keep users out of the tables. They should only be allowed to access data through Forms, and you can make your Forms read-only so that they cannot alter data through them.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeM View Post
    How are your users access the data?
    As a general rule of thumb, you always want to keep users out of the tables. They should only be allowed to access data through Forms, and you can make your Forms read-only so that they cannot alter data through them.
    Yes I see that in the form property venster you can select yes or no for adding or removing information. However when I import link I only get to see the tables, and not the forms. And with exporting the forms, there is no link. Thank you for you quick reply.

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    I think you missed my point.
    You link the table, like you normally would, but only expose the data to your users via Forms.
    So where users go into the data, they do not have the ability to update it.
    Now, with Access security as weak as it does, a knowledgeable user could still figure out how to access the underlying table, but usually, the intention is to protect against accidental updates.

If you users are really untrustworthy and you really need to lock things down to protect against malicious activity, you probably want something that has been security than Access.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    I think you missed my point.
    You link the table, like you normally would, but only expose the data to your users via Forms.
    So where users go into the data, they do not have the ability to update it.
    Now, with Access security as weak as it does, a knowledgeable user could still figure out how to access the underlying table, but usually, the intention is to protect against accidental updates.

If you users are really untrustworthy and you really need to lock things down to protect against malicious activity, you probably want something that has been security than Access.
    Yes I guess I do. If I understand I link the table, make a read only form from the linked table. However what I don't understand is, what do I do with the linked table, it is visible and tangible for the users. Do I just hide it, via properties? Thank you for your patience.

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Typically, most Access applications that are going to be distributed to users are designed to be "Form-driven". This means that everything the users really do is through a series of Forms (like any other GUI application). So, the Object Browser is typically hidden from users (Access Options -> Current Database -> Navigation then uncheck the Display Navigation Pane check box).

But hiding the linked table sounds like a good layer of added protection too!

Windows 8 Access 2013
    Typically, most Access applications that are going to be distributed to users are designed to be "Form-driven". This means that everything the users really do is through a series of Forms (like any other GUI application). So, the Object Browser is typically hidden from users (Access Options -> Current Database -> Navigation then uncheck the Display Navigation Pane check box).

But hiding the linked table sounds like a good layer of added protection too!
    Runs like a charm, many thanks for your help.

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Your welcome!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.