Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Boru is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2000

Exclusive access/DB lock

Here is the situation I'm in now:

We have 4 work stations 3 of them has Office 2000 installed, and one machine had Office XP installed(user1).

The error we are getting is "You do not have exclusive access to the database at this time. If you proceed to make changes, you may not be able to save them later."

If the database is open by USER1 - everyone is getting the error above.
    If the database i NOT open by USER1 - noone gets the error(user2-4 are using it wihout the error)

I thought the the error will be caused by different access versions, so I uninstalled Office XP from User1 and installed Office 2000 and now what happens is:

if user1 opens access first - others get the error "The database has been placed in a state by user “Admin” on machine" - this error poped up after i reinstalled the office.

If user2 opens access first - then user1 opens - we get the "exclusive access error" but we dont get the "state by user "admin" error.

I did a search online and found the KB for access - but it did not help.

Also, uninstalled Adobe 7.

Then we tried configuring it using workgroups - did not help.

Looks like its the issue with the machine itself - any ideas?

I was trying to fix it and looks like it just got worse..

Help would be appreciated.

TheShabz is offline Court Jester
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Usually when you have multiple users for the same db, you'd want to split it to a Front End Back End setup. put the Back End on a network drive and give each user his/her own copy of the Front End. Then you shouldn't run across exclusive access rights issues.

Boru is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2000
    Isn't there a simpler solution?
    Why can other users use it fine but USER1 causes the issue?

Windows XP Access 2003
    I honestly dont know why user 1 causes the issue. from what ive noticed the real "problem" is that access ISNT locking out for everyone else. when a DB is opened a lock file is automatically created preventing others from opening it (.mdl file if im not mistaken).

And as far as "simpler" goes, it depends on your definition. To me, a split database is by far the simplest solution for a multi-user database. the Owner (you) has full control of your tables and queries and prevents the users (id-10-Ts in many cases) from screwing them up.

Boru is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2000
    nice one "(id-10-Ts in many cases)"

Thank you

Windows XP Access 2003
    yep, the good ol IDtenT error. Similiar to the PEBKAC error.

Back on topic, I hope you do go the split/db route. I'm sure those in this forum who are much more knowledgeable than me will know why you are receiving the error you are if you wait around long enough.

lehua768 is offline Novice
    Windows 2K Access 2002
    if user1 opens access first - others get the error "The database has been placed in a state by user “Admin” on machine" - this error poped up after i reinstalled the office.
    If user2 opens access first - then user1 opens - we get the "exclusive access error" but we dont get the "state by user "admin" error.
    I did a search online and found the KB for access - but it did not help.

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    look people...a multi user db must be split FE/BE......end of story.

it is easy - and more importantly - there is no choice.

Boru is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2000
    I run a split on Access 2000.

I had an option to create BE database - did that. and thats it? where is my FE ? is it the main database?

If i open main database - i still get that exclusive rights error? what did i do wrong?

Should i use 2003 spliter?

Thanks

Windows XP Access 2003

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    anyone responsible for a multi user database - - - that is not aware of the need to split the database really has failed to establish the fundamental understanding needed to manage or design a database. I don't know why people seem to think that they can approach any database with zero experience, and zero self education. There are alot of good textbooks one can purchase on Access (or any database) from Amazon or any of the big box bookstores. Its not like the info isn't out there or hard to find.

this forum is an aid for help, but being totally unaware of something as fundamental as splitting a db for multiuser really is a sign that people simply are not even making a baseline effort to learn the database. This isn't a Word doc. If you are asking questions at this user forum and do not have an Access textbook - rather than posting questions you should first buy & read the book !!

Boru is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2000
    I split it again - still the same error persists..
    note the database is not mine - i'm just trying to help them..

Therefore, when i reinstalled MS officer (my first steps) we used to get the excluse error once (you clikc OK once and it goes away, untill you try to access to database again) - now we have to "OK it" 8 times.

I think that it's something with the machines software.. any ideas?

Boru is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2000
    The thing i did not do is - I did not copied FE to each user machine - i just opened FE from shared drive on 2 machines - thats probably caused the issue. I will try it tonight.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by NTC View Post
    anyone responsible for a multi user database - - - that is not aware of the need to split the database really has failed to establish the fundamental understanding needed to manage or design a database. I don't know why people seem to think that they can approach any database with zero experience, and zero self education. There are alot of good textbooks one can purchase on Access (or any database) from Amazon or any of the big box bookstores. Its not like the info isn't out there or hard to find.

this forum is an aid for help, but being totally unaware of something as fundamental as splitting a db for multiuser really is a sign that people simply are not even making a baseline effort to learn the database. This isn't a Word doc. If you are asking questions at this user forum and do not have an Access textbook - rather than posting questions you should first buy & read the book !!

While I agree with your premise, I'm not so keen on the buying of textbooks. Maybe its the "young tech" in me but honestly, I've learned more from Google searches than I have from textbooks. The only time I've ever gotten textbooks have been when my job would pay for them and even then it's been a cover my ass move to justify my rational for doing things the way I did.

Back on Topic. There's just so much free and reliable information out on the web that buying books just isn't very beneficial. The only thing I'd like to ask is that people do a little research before posting on forums. Instead of a "here's what I need, how can I do it?" approach, I'd much prefer questions like "here's what I need, here's what I tried, what am I doing wrong and how can I improve."

Oh and this is only a reply to NTC. In no way am I accusing the OP of not doing any research or anything like that.

Boru is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2000
    So i split the database - looks like everything is fine - no more errors.
    However, it runs a little bit slower than it was before - any ideas why?

Also, do I need to clean something up after splitting? For example my FE file as big as the whole database(before split). Do I need to delete something from FE?

Is it ok to make a one folder for example \\server\accessdb\ and put all FE files in there? eg: user1_db.mdb, user2_db.mdb and have users to open these files from network drive? instead of moving files to their local machine?

Also, do I need to check something to make sure the split was successful or do I need to know something after I split it?(i have no experience with access, sorry).

What I did I modified the field value from 2 machines and I was able to see the changes on both of them. Do I need to do anything else?

Thank you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.