alexbumgardner is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

Report Truncating Memo Field(s)

Hi,

This is my first post, so please forgive any breach of protocol.

I have checked many other posts, and found Allen Brown's solution, but none of these work for me. I have one large table, a query on that table, and the query feeds a report. I have no Union statements. The memo fields have the complete text in both the table and the query...it is only when i generate the report that some of my memo fields get truncated.

The truncation varies at different levels, and appears random. I have set "Can Grow" and "Can Shrink", and I have attempted to resolve formatting issues. I believe the problem lies in the "Grouping" and "Keep Together" options; my report is some 20 pages long, and must keep a group structure for two three columns.

Any help is appreciated!

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Can't replicate the issue. Would have to examine your data and report structure if you want to provide. Follow instructions at bottom of my post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

I apologize, as this is for work I cannot upload it. However, I have figured out the issue and what I need to do.

How do I use a DLOOKUP expression to set the text box form control for these fields in my report? Everything shows up in layout view. My table is "Mark2", and I have three columns: "Metric", "Definition","Role Specific Examples". "Metric" has text data type, while "Def" and "RSE" are the memo type.

So far, I have (in the expression builder) =DLookup("Definition","Mark2", [blank])... what is the criteria to use?

June7 is offline VIP
    Why are you in Layout view? I never use Layout view.

I have no idea what criteria you need. You tell me what criteria you want to filter on and I will try to give you correct syntax. The correct syntax depends on the field data type and whether the parameter is static or dynamic.

Example of static parameter for text data type:

=DLookup("Definition", "Mark2", "some fieldname = 'some text value'")
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

So I'm pretty new with Access.... how do I identify this criteria?

I have a table called "METRIC_LIBRARY", and two Queries organize and sort the table data: "KSA_SUMMARY" and "WS_SUMMARY". The report pulls from "KSA_SUM", then "WS_SUM". I need the DLookUp criteria to reference the "Definition" column generated by "WS_SUMMARY".

The group is: KSA_GROUP; the subgroup is : KSA_SUBGROUP - METRIC, DEFINITION, ROLE_SPECIFIC_EXAMPLE.

Is that enough info? THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

June7 is offline VIP
    No, does not clarify. Filter criteria is to restrict the set of records. What restriction(s) do you want to apply? Do you want to consider only records that are before/after a certain date or only records associated with a particular employee, etc? Maybe you don't want any restrictions?

I really don't understand what you are trying to do and if you refuse to scrub the db so it can be posted then I doubt I will be able to help further.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.