I developed a secured, multi-user Access application whereby I have a front-end and a back-end. I copied the front-end on everyone's workstation and I placed the data file on the server. I also copied the MDW file on the server in the same folder as the data file and everyone points to that MDW file when they log in.

But something strange happens when I go into the public folder and I double-click the data file to view the tables. I sometimes get the message "You do not have the necessary permissions to open this database" (Or something close to that). I happen to be the owner of the database files, so I don't understand why I get this message.

However, when I copy the data file locally to my workstation, I don't get the message. Keep in mind that I'm still pointing to the MDW file on the server, like everyone else. I do notice something else. The message appears when there are other users using the system concurrently... When nobody is using it, I can open the file from the public folder.

Upon investigation, I noticed that I cannot have the MDW file in the same directory as the data file. Why you ask? Well, I copied the MDW file and the data file to my workstation (in the same folder) and I get the error message popping up again. So my temporary solution was to place the MDW file in a separate folder.

Has anyone come across this before or explain why this is so?

Ray