accesscav is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Question Modifying a part naming database changing numbering from XX-YYY-ZZZ to XYZZZ

I have a part numbering database written by an engineer with whom I no longer work. I want to change the current numbering structure from XX-YYY-ZZZZ to XYZZZ removing one X, Y & Z as well as the dash components. The XX component belongs to a product ID table, the YYY component belongs to a group ID table and the ZZZZ component is a sequential component of the partnumber table.
    Can this be done with minimal modifications? I am capable of changing the form layouts.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Poduct ID.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	270.3 KB 
ID:	17091

Name:	Group ID.jpg 
Size:	271.5 KB 
ID:	17092

Name:	PartNumber.jpg 
Size:	284.2 KB 
ID:	17093

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I presume the Xs, Ys, Zs represent variable letters/numbers, not literally XX-YYY-ZZZZ. You show 3 Ys reduced to 1 - should that be 2 Ys?

Is this hyphenated value saved somewhere?

Which fields have the components that need to be changed?

The GroupNumber and ProductNumber fields are calculated type. SequentialID field is number type. You want to limit to 3 digits?

If you want to provide db for review, follow instructions at bottom of my post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Hi -

Why not make the PartNumber field a calculated field, based on ProductKey, GroupKey & SequentialID?

You could use format(ProductKey,"0") & format(GroupKey,"00") & format(SequentialID,"000") as the expression.

HTH

John

I presume the Xs, Ys, Zs represent variable letters/numbers, not literally XX-YYY-ZZZZ. You show 3 Ys reduced to 1 - should that be 2 Ys?
    Yes, the single X & , sorry, the single Y represent names of product categories & groups and the 3 Zs are sequential identifiers (XYZZZ).

Is this hyphenated value saved somewhere?
    Unfortunitly I haven't been able to identify where they are but as they are present when a part number is generated they are there somewhere.

Which fields have the components that need to be changed?
    Other than the finding and removing the hyphens I believe the validation rules and the expressions need to be modified followed by the forms.

The GroupNumber and ProductNumber fields are calculated type. SequentialID field is number type. You want to limit to 3 digits?
    Yes, 3 Zs.

I will attempt to edit and send you the db.

Current:

Name:	XX-YYY-ZZZZ.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	17121

What I need:

Name:	XYZZZ.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	105.0 KB 
ID:	17122

Hi John,

Unfortunitly I am not that switched on with code. Looking at the current Group ID expression (2nd image on original post) can you translate what it says in simple english? Can all that be replaced with (GroupKey,"0") as you suggest and still run?

Cheers

June7 is offline VIP
    John_G is suggesting you create a field in query with an expression using Format() function to display the number values as you wish. Or do the calculation in textbox on form/report.

Calculated type field does not recognize the Format() function so could not do in table. This is probably why the developer used the IIf() expression. Maybe change GroupNumber expression to:

IIf([GroupID]<10, "0", "") + Trim(Str([GroupID]))

None of that resolves the issue of the hyphens.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

I attempt to revise the expression as suggested without succes. I did however manage to locate and remove the hyphens without drama.

I have attached the db. Have a look & a play and let me know what you think.

The images below are the user logon & main interface. The pw is 1234

Name:	db logon.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	17127Click image for larger version. 

Name:	db Main Interface.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	17128
    Attached Files Attached Files

June7 is offline VIP
    What does 'without success' mean - error message, wrong results, nothing happens?

Editing the expression is simply just typing what you want or copy/paste what I posted. Works for me.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.