corquando is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2007

I can't be this stupid

Hi.

Is there a link anybody can provide that will give a step-by-step example, preferably with words no larger than 4 letters and one syllable, showing how to bring data from an Excel file into a new Access database?

I have created the fields beforehand. I have imported them one-by-one. I have tried Import Wizard, I have tried linking to tables, I have tried copy-and-paste, and if I see one more table with beautiful column captions and a single blank record below that I think I will start throwing things.

All I want to do is bring 6 columns of data into a table from an Excel file that has 14 columns. The Import Wizard isn't asking if I want to use named ranges, and I know that the other 8 columns aren't in my table - I designed it that way.

So. If there's a Barney-The-Dinosaur-level tutorial out there, I'd sure appreciate the link info.

Thanks. It's Guiness time . . .

SoftwareMatters is offline Access VBA Developers
    Windows XP Access 2003
    1. In your excel file in the first column use column headers that match the fields in your Access table where you would like the data to go.

2. Link the Excel file as a table by right-clicking in the table list and choosing link table (make sure excel files are selected from file type). Choose 1st row as field names.

3. Create a new append query that writes data from your linked table to your access table

4. Run the query.

corquando is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2007

Smile Breakthrough

Thank for the great start. Sorry it's taken so long to get back - life is what happens when you try to make plans. Anyway, I've done what you suggested and I'm on my way.

If I can't find a post already dealing with the problems I know I'll encounter, I'll ask, but so far so good and thanks again!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.