atuhacek is offline New
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Package Solution Install FE wont open on client machine.

I Created an Install using the Package Solution Wizard. Change the registry settings to all trusted path and sub folders. Install goes fine until the client try's to open the front end. Access blinks the front end then goes straight to the create new database window. The FE doesn't show up in the recent file list and will not even open from the File -> Open menu.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Maybe the FE did not get copied over when you created the package. Perhaps you can try again and verify the paths to files you want included in the package.

atuhacek is offline New
    The file sizes of the original and the install FE are exact matches for size. I have been trying this for this for two days now. I've set it up to multiple location on the the client. Tried with and without the run time. Tried setting the client to except all macro's and multiple media type for the install. can't even find a similar issue to reference.

atuhacek is offline New
    I should add that this install work fine on the development machine for all the various install combinations. both machine have similar security setups.

That does seem odd. One thing to consider is if the user is using Access 2010 RT or full version vs. another release, e.g. 2007. I do not know if it matters. It is just a thought. I believe that Access offers this packaging wizard only for 2010. The wizard is not available for 2013 and Microsoft recommends creating an MSI for developers using Access 2013, if I recall correctly...

atuhacek is offline New
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 64bit
    I believe the problem is related to being created on a 32 bit version of office 2010 and then trying to run on a 64 bit version. Not positive because i'm not at the office computer. How can I go about converting a 32 bit version to 64 without being on a machine with 32 bit office?

There should not be an issue with 64 bit office running an FE file. The exception is usually associated with standard modules that use VBA to reference DLL files.

You could possibly have a situation like this at startup.

After the package is unpacked, what is the file size of the accdb or ACCDE?

atuhacek is offline New
    Windows 8 Access 2010 64bit
    Im only 2.5m accdb and 2 accde. Im pretty sure the problem is related to my ribbon ui. This front end is heavily coded with no macro's. i dont have any start up code other than my ribbon. Don't believe i used any over-sized variables. Runs fine and tests fine on the development manchine. But same thing happen's on two 64bit Windows machines one I know is running Office 2010 64bit the other is suspected. Ill find out tomorrow.

Im going to start stripping the code down until i trace the problem now that I have a starting point. I'll update when I solve this issue.

atuhacek is offline New
    One more idea. Not sure it would have an effect early enough in the life cycle to stop start up. But I have some automated email functions and file output functions. Both of which are cause and effect.

OK. When I get back to aa PC I will post some code to look for. Also, there most likely is a solution using an IF Else statement.

So I have never written code for 64bit Office but

Here is an example of accessing a DLL file that might cause issues on a 64 bit Office install
    Private Declare Function GetSaveFileName Lib "comdlg32.dll"

Doing a search for Lib " might do the trick of finding code that is causing an issue. There may be other 64bit compatibility issues too.

A solution would be to use PtrSafe. You would employ it when the VBA is being accessed by a 64 bit version of Access. You can test for Access 64bit with the VBA7 constant.

If VBA7 = true then
    Private Declare PtrSafe Function GetSaveFileName Lib "comdlg32.dll" (SomeArgumrent as String)
    else
    Private Declare Function GetSaveFileName Lib "comdlg32.dll" (SomeArgumrent as String)
    end if
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...ffice.14).aspx

amrut is offline Expert
    Itsme is already helping you out. To nail down the problem, it may be a better idea, if feasible, to package a another simple db preferably with ribbon and check if it runs before you modify code/ribbon in this db. Have you deployed any db to that machine in the past ?

atuhacek is offline New
    @amrut I have deployed to that machine in the past without issue. Im going to try putting the ribbon into a blank and see if that works. Thanks for the input.

Turns out both machine are running Office 2010 32bit.

atuhacek is offline New
    Turns out I had a corrupt file that was completely preventing it from opening. Created a new database and imported everything without any major issues. Thanks for the input.

Glad to hear you got it sorted.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.