sleake is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2007

Many errors using database forms -- getting errors when try to decompile

Built a database that all of a sudden was unusable; anything I clicked would crash Access. Created a new database (turned off AutoCorrect) and imported all objects. Yesterday I tried it and it was working perfectly. Today, everything I touch generates an error.

I've been trying to decompile. Both DBs are .accdb. files. Access 2010 and Windows 7, also tried on XP. Same errors as below.

Created the following command line: "c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\MSACCESS.EXE" \decompile and get the error "Can't find the database decompile.mdb"

I've tried changing it to msaccess.exe \ decompile (space before decompile) ("option MS Access doesn't recognize")
    No quotes ("can't find c:\Program")

This works to open Access, but of course not to decompile:
    c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\MSACCESS.EXE

Does anyone have a suggestion? I have decompiled successfully before -- but with an .mdb, not an accdb, and on XP, not Win7.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Learned something new - never heard of decompile.

According to this should be possible with accdb: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3...se-application
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

amrut is offline Expert
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    You should use the forward slash and a space in between. /decompile

burrina is offline VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    Don't know what steps you took in creating a New Database. If you copied and pasted or imported, you no doubt copied over the errors as well. Do you not have backups?
    Was the db perhaps split? I have seen fields in tables get corrupt as well as forms without affecting the rest of the db.
    Have you tried splitting the db if it is not already? Have you created new tables and tried importing the data?

sleake is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Amrut: Re /decompile. What a dumb mistake -- and I have a document with decompile statements in it for other databases that are correct. Thanks for "opening" my eyes.

burrina: This is a database that I'm in the process of building, but also using while doing so. As it happens, I loaded it on a computer with XP and the problems disappeared. Go figure. I've now put it back on Win7 machine, and it seems to be working.

I created it by importing all objects -- it was not split.

Even though it's working, I will take your advice and create new tables (the main one has only about 15 records) and import just the data. I had planned to split it anyway, so I'll do that first. I'm hoping the data entry form is not corrupted, as that's the piece that's taken a lot of time. So I'll try importing that, and hope for the best.

Thanks to you both!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.