numberguy is offline Novice
    Windows 7 Access 2010 (version 14.0)

Conditional number formatting

Is there a way to change the number format in a report based off of the value of another field in the report? Specifically, I have a report where two of the fields are [units] and [quantity]. I am wanting the [quantity] field format to have no decimal places if the [unit] is "pounds". In all other cases ([unit] does not equal "pounds") I want the [quantity] field number format to have 2 decimal places. I have looked at conditional formatting, but that appears to only work for changing colors. Thanks for any help!

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Can do an expression in textbox:

=Format([quantity], IIf([unit]="pounds", "0", "0.00"))
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Thanks for the reply. I am a novice. Where in the text box to you put the expression? I tried putting it in the Format section of the properties sheet for the [Quantity] text box contol and Access converted what I typed to "=For"m"at(["q"ua"n"tit"y"], IIF([u"n"it]=pounds, 0, 0.00))".

June7 is offline VIP
    In the Control Source property.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Thanks again for the reply. The control source for the Quantity text box refers to the [Quantity] field of the data base that is the report's Record Source. When I try to add the expression to the control source property for the Quantity text box I get an error. If I make the expression the only thing in the control source property for the Quantity text box the report shows #Type! in the Quantity field. What am I doing wrong?

June7 is offline VIP
    The expression must be the only thing in the Control Source property. The textbox name must not be Quantity or that will cause a circular reference. Use something like tbxQty.

Is the Unit field a text type? Is it storing the actual text "pounds" or an ID for a lookup table record?

Changed the name of the Quantity text box solved the issue. Thank you for the help!!!!!!!!!!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.