akwormy is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2010 64bit

structure advice?

building a fairly simple database to serve as a shift log. date/time/initials/event details/follow up required check box all make up the table (and a primary key autonumber field)

what I want is to be able to run a report for those things that need follow up - simple.

then I want to be able to capture secondary information on the follow up - another set of date time initials and event details -

should that be another table? Or in the same table?

I took a shot at setting it up in the same table but when I tried to make a form that featured the original entries and the secondary entries it got so crowded that the text boxes required scrolling and it just didn't allow comprehension.

I tried to find a way to have the text fields autosize but couldn't find something I was smart enough to implement.

really appreciate any help on A) how to structure but mostly B) how to set up a form such that a person could have two potentially long memo fields (one from the first event and one for the subsequent follow up) that either autosized or maybe with a button that could at least open up that field in a broader view so you could read or type a coherent description of the event.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    A) If you want multiple followup records for each event then have a related table

B) Can set form to Continuous or Single view and arrange and size controls as you want. Did you use wizard to build form? The wizard 'groups' controls and this makes it a bit difficult to modify them. Select all the controls (use click/sweep) then right click > Layout > Remove.

If you go with the 2 tables then use form/subform arrangement for data entry/edit.

Might find this site helpful: http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    If they are the same structure , why not keep them both in one table?
    Maybe a flag to differentiate primary and secondary entries.

No autosize available.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.