Paintballlovr is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

acexportdelim length issues??

Is there a limit to the number of characters acexportdelim can move from a field? I have a field, which is two text fields combined, so the length can surpass 255. On fields where the length is longer than one text field, it only captures the first 255. I'm not sure if that is a function of the export or if there is something within the field that the process is identifying as a delimited character and breaking at that point? any ideas?

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    As far as I know, acexportdelim is a constant. It is the same as the Integer 2.

How are you using acexportdelim? Can you post your code?

This is the function in my module:

DoCmd.TransferText acExportDelim, "Comments Extract for OneChart", "qrySELECT Extracted_Comments", "\\1mpfs01\databases$\denials\comments_extract\Comm entsExport_" & Format(Now, "yyyymmddhh") & ".txt"

Maybe I need to modify my export specification, but I can't figure out how to get back in there to see if that is where the issue is.

I use the TransferText method all of the time for Imports, over 255 characters.

What happens when you open qrySELECT Extracted_Comments in DS view? I imagine everything you see should be exported.

Yes, all of the data is correctly formatted within the database. I backed into viewing my export spec by starting a new import spec and I did verify that the field I'm trying to export is set to 255, so I know why I'm not getting the whole note. What I can't do is save the change to the export spec because of how i got in there. Can anyone tell me how to get into the export spec, through valid means, so I can adjust the length to 510?

I went into the MSysIMEXColumns table and changed the length on the field from 255 to 510, but I'm not sure if that will actually filter to the export or not. I'm about an hour out from the next time it runs, so if someone says something different before then, I may just let it run and see what happens.

sorry to keep posting little snippets, but I manually ran the process and it is still truncating the field in question. Do I need a way to access the specification through "official channels"??

I thought you were talking about over all export of 255 characters. So yes, I do not believe there is support in that ANSI standard for fields like memo. May have to export the field(s) to text and then merge text files.

ok, everything is working now, so I thought I would post the fix. Modifying the system tables to reflect the spec changes did not filter to the actual export. I ended up having to recreate the export from scratch, which picked up the correct field size and now works. The original spec was created before the field increased in size, which is why my results were truncated to begin with. So to partly answer your last post, the export will support more than 255 characters, but if there is a max limit, I do not know what it is. Thanks for your assistance!

OK good info. Glad you went through the trouble of recreating the export spec.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.