msaccessdev is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013

Update query error

Hi ,

I am updating few tables with update query. it was working fine since i have connected all the other tables to update the table like ...

I am updating table "A" from tables "B", "C","D","E" etc... it is working fine.

Now i have situation where i need to updated Table "E" from the already existing query (Select query).

i have linked Query with the "E" table unique identifier and given the fields list to update in the table. when i run the Update query ACCESS is throwing a info message says "Operation must use an updateable query." and query is not running. but when i say "Datasheet view" it is showing all the columns with the data update from the (select query columns as well).

please advice.

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    The datasheet view is showing the results of your query (which is made up of multiple tables), not the data in your single table. If you close out of your query and go back to your single table, you will see that the data has not been updated.

There are a number of reasons why a query may not be updateable. Here is a list: http://allenbrowne.com/ser-61.html

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.