ayupchap is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 8 Access 2013

Getting this error on a split database - MO has detected...DB in inconsistent state

Hi all

I am really worried as I have this issue thats flared up. I get this error message: Microsoft Office has detected that this database is in inconsistent state and this database will attempt to recover the database

Now this is a split database which is accessed from a front end. There are only tables on the backend no queries etc. There are a number of front end users however. The system seems to work for a while but then comes back with this issue again later on. What can be done about it and whats causing it. I never had this problem before with the same system and has come from nowhere today. The database is made up of about 12 tables

Any help really, really appreciated.

ranman256 is online now VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    It could crash in the middle of the split.
    You should be able to continue moving the tables manually. (tbls from Front end to backend)
    Hopefully it did the bulk of the work for you.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    Thanks for your quick reply,

The database split successfully and has been operational for a few days but noticed today this issue? Do you think that the split went badly and the issue is now only showing up? Is there anyway I can repair this, say by moving each table into a new database and saving it again using the same name?

Once it's split you should be OK.
    The wizard may have crashed on something, but as long as you have all your tables, you should be fine.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    Hi again

No sorry I am not sure I made myself clear, my fault. It keeps throwing up this error message that showed up for the first time todaythe issue I have. The database was split ages ago and has operated fine until today when I started to get this error message, I don't know whats caused it as nothing has changed. What can I do to rectify it?

You can get errors if a table structure was modified. Did you relink ALL tables in the front end?

Windows 8 Access 2013
    I don't think I changed the structure but maybe I did. Is there a solution to this? I was thinking of recombining the front and back end, doing a compact and repair. Them make sure it works and resend out. Does this sound like a good idea to you?

Did you repair both AND relink?

Windows 8 Access 2013
    Yes I did a repair on both parts of the split. I took a copy of each and rejoined them and it seems to work fine, this is very weird. I am now going to split them again and see what happens.

One thing I noticed is that the back end never seems to close and I am wondering if this is part of the problem. its seems that the padlocked icon that comes up when you open an access database is always present even when I am sure everyone is out of it. This doesn't seem right to me. I just do not know how to fix it. Hopefully a new split could do it?

Windows 8 Access 2013
    ranman256 you might well have been right. I created the split but changed a relationship on one of the tables on one of the front ends which I believe caused the error. its seems to be working OK now I have fixed that.

Thanks so much for your help.

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    1. Every user must have there own Front End. No front end can be used simultaneously by multiple users.
    2. When you are certain all users are out of the database; if the Back End is still showing the padlocked LCCDB file ; right click and delete this. This can occur often due to an electrical flicker of the server or service on it... the same is true for any FEs - if their padlock lccdb file still exists when the app is closed, right click and delete it...
    3. compact/repair

and then everything should work fine - Access is very robust. If you still have this problem, then possibly you have a design issue in terms of some writes/updates occurring to tables that wasn't well thought thru in terms of affecting records that other users have open. It's a rare issue but that is about all that occurs to me...

Windows 8 Access 2013
    Thanks so much NTC this is so useful for me with what I need to produce right now. i'm printing this out for future reference.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.