Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DB88 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

User only opens DB in Exclusive mode

Hello,

When one of my users opens the database, Access automatically opens it in Exclusive Mode. Thus locking everyone else out. Only one of my users has had this problem. The research I've done says this occurs because my user does not have "write" access on the shared drive housing the back-end.

However, that is not true. The user in question does have "write" access. I've watched over his shoulder as he has added things to the shared drive.

Any other ideas as to why the database keeps opening in exclusive mode?

Megan

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Is each user running their own copy of frontend? Never encountered this issue. I have encountered errors with linked tables if user does not have permissions to the folder, but never exclusive mode.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Yes, each user has a copy of the front end. However it is the same copy. I didn't create special front ends for different people.

I also want to clarify that it is my guess that the user is opening in Exclusive mode. When he is using the database all other users get the message "File Aready in Use". According to my reference book that means that he is in exclusive mode and that I need to get him write access in the shared folder. However, as I mentioned, he has write access already

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    is he opening the file with a shortcut? if he is check the shortcut there is a method to open a database in exclusive mode with the correct code in a shortcut. What you're looking for is somewhere in the shortcut you'll see /excl get rid of that if it exists.

I don't believe he is using a shortcut. The user saved the front end file I provided to his local computer then opened database from that location. They didn't create a shortcut to the front end file

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    don't believe or you know for a fact I'd go check to see how he's doing it (I don't believe what people tell me unless I see it myself).

Is he using a different version of MS access than anyone else?
    Have you tried to give him his own copy of the front end (just make a copy of the existing front end but give it a slightly different name then make him connect to the 'problem child' version instead).

I said "don't believe he is using a shortcut" because I was unsure what you mean by using a shortcut. I didn't mean to imply that I hadn't investigated the issue yet. I've stood over his shoulder and watched him save the front end I gave him and open it. He does not have any problems using the database. The issue is that he locks the rest of us out.

What do you mean "make him connect to the problem child version"? I've already released an updated front end version to all my users. So this particular users has connected to DB with two different front ends and we get the same result.

NOEL71 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    DB88,

Instead of having a copy of frontend in each user computer. How about just have them connet to the share drive and open the frontend database, since everyone have access to sharedrive.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Let's say your database is named Test.accdb, if I create a shortcut it will have a little arrow in the icon like this (Icon on the left is the actual application, icon on the right is the shortcut icon):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Icons.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	5.9 KB 
ID:	16698

if you do a properties on each of these you would see something like (again icon on the left is properties of the application, the right, properties of the shortcut):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ShortcutExample.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	16699

the SHORTCUT tab of the SHORTCUT properties will hold a value labeled TARGET.
    In that value you may see the /excl I'm talking about

Secondly, you have ONE front end that everyone is sharing. What I'm saying is create a copy of that front end and make this problem user use that separate version

Again assuming your database name is TEST.ACCDB

Make a copy and name it TEST_Problem_Child.accdb and have this user use the COPY of the database. The only issue is whenever you update it you will have to distribute two copies of the new front end which is relatively minor.

Wouldn't that just create more problems? Now I would have multiple people accessing the same file on a shared drive and that file is linked to the back end on another shared drive (or same drive). Also how would that solve the problem of one user locking everyone else out?

I believe giving my users their own copy of the front end is the best solution. It also allows me to create customized front ends for different users easily.

rpeare,

Just to clarify, all my users have their own copy of the front end. It may be the same one but they all save it to their computers. So, your suggestion about making a copy is already occuring.

The user in question is opening the front end file I gave him. He is not using a shortcut

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    the users can't simultaneously have their own copy of the front end and be using the same one.

Either
    You have front end application that each person is copying (MULTIPLE COPIES) to their own PC.

OR
    You have a SINGLE COPY of your front end application that resides on the server that everyone is accessing

If you are not familiar with the difference between a shortcut and an actual application or file I am not sure I can be much more clear than I have been.

My guess based on your thread is that you are copying a SHORTCUT to each person's PC and that SHORTCUT is the problem but I'm getting mixed messages on your posts.

I have a front end application that each person is copying to their own PC.

No one is using a shortcut

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    DB88, sounds like you use (or attempt to) the same setup I have. Split db. Backend on file server. Copy of frontend is placed on each users C: drive of their computer. No one has ever been 'locked out'.

Then I set shortcut that targets the copy on C:.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    so do this, have the problem user open the BACK END of the database, then see if anyone else can get in to their copy of the front end

similarly have someone else open the back end, then have the problem user try to open the back end as well if you get no errors, have a third person try to open the back end and see if they get the message. If everyone truly has their own copy of the front end the problem exists with the back end

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.