Paul H is offline Expert
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

Funny Story

I've been working on a project for awhile. I started out with a database that used no naming conventions at all. Queries were named with table names as long a sentences, full of special characters and spaces everywhere. The same went with table names and field names. I've posted about this elsewhere. Over months I've brought these names into compliance with a provided, if somewhat dated, Access specifications document. These pretty much aligned with what I had been using all along, i.e., prefixes like tbl for tables, qry for queries, frm for Forms, no spaces etc. So nearing the end of the project, it was decided to use SQL Server as a back end, mean I.T. got involved. After holding their nose about an Access database, the announce all tables, queries, field names must meet their quite different specifications, potentially changing the name of every object in the database.

I just looked at them and smiled. It's no skin off my teeth, but you can imagine the work involved. It's a paycheck to me IF their willing to sign it, but I can't help but shake my head over the whole matter. I try only to laugh when I leave the building.

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    Where do I get a job to paint the grass green?

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Crazy. Spinning your wheels is never fun. It is important to feel you earned your keep.

Paul H is offline Expert
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    I agree, ItsMe. I love to see my work used and get positive feedback from people. It can be frustrating when it goes nowhere.

TommyK is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    There are many 'retentive' persons in management who want all work to fit within their box. It doesn't matter whether the 'box' makes sense, was poorly constructed, or is out of date. Into the 'box' it must go!. If it means a paycheck then so be it. The problem lies when the box holder expect-ED (past tense) you to stay inside the box you didn't know was there.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Job security is one thing, but mental health is another. I use Rick Fisher's Find and Replace for Access - saved my sanity more than once.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.