Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Solution presented in previous post. Choose the option you are most comfortable with.

DO NOT allow edit of the Product table Description field when entering/editing invoice record. This is not saving data into Line Items record, it is CHANGING the data in Product table, as you have already experienced.

You really need to get a better understanding of relational database principles. Perhaps this tutorial site will help http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Leen is offline Advanced Beginner
    I certainly understand what you are saying; if this then would be impossible to do, or if there would be no other way around this without changing the Product table, I'll have to extend the list for the Combo Box with, say, 500 items to include every and any possibility to get a right description in this field?

June7 is offline VIP
    If you want to allow users to input any value they want as a description, this requires either a text field in Line Items for that input or allow them to create a new record in Product table and save that record ID in Line Items. Yes, the new record option expands the list of possibilities.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Just to make sure: I use the combo box for say, "This is the first line", but think this is not enough, I'd like to ADD to the line something like, ", and the second one also".
    Would you give me an example how to do that via a text box in Line Items?

June7 is offline VIP
    I suppose you could have a field in Line Items named like DescAdd. Then simply bind a textbox to that field. User can input anything. So I guess you have a third option.

One last question c.q. request.
    Is it possible to write a piece of code to accomplish this?
    Again, when creating a new invoice have the opportunity to add a bit of text (a rare occasion); once the invoice is saved, never being able to edit it again.
    Your suggestion looks indeed like an option, but I agree, it's an awkward one.
    Looking forward to see once more your expertise...

Thank you very much for all your time and effort!

Leen

June7 is offline VIP
    Could possibly have the textbox visible only for a new record. But this would work only if the form is in Single View. It is possible to use Conditional Formatting in Continuous or Datasheet view to enable/disable a textboxl. But I don't know if a condition can be based on whether the focus is on a new record.

Dear June7,

Thank you very much for the time you've spent, to make me more knowledgeable in Microsoft Access 2010! It is really very much appreciated.
    Please continue to do your good work; a lot of people are helped by it, I'm sure.

Thanks,

Leen

Hello June7 again,

The DB is almost ready and I am really getting exited!
    However, there is one thing I can't get my head around: It is about the text boxes (Description) and (Price).

My question to you is this:

Is it possible to take the information from the Product Table, but save it in Line Items?
    As I mentioned before, the Description is not often changed, but the Price is...
    Or create a duplicate table of Product? And if yes, how do I do that?

As it is right now, the invoices seem to change with whatever I put in another invoice.
    When I can "fix" this, I can start using my DB!

Thanks,

Leen

June7 is offline VIP
    As described in post 14, same solutions apply to price data.

The invoices change because you are editing the field from Products table, not field in Line Items table.

I don't know what you mean by duplicate table of product nor how that would help.

You're fast!
    Where I would like to get some understanding is, if I make 2 text boxes in Line Items, how would that provide me with a combo box with all suggestions? It is too much to fill in all data by hand.
    I am obviously not understanding things like you do, so please be patient with my ignorance.

June7 is offline VIP
    You can have a multi-column combobox to list the products and descriptions and prices. Then a textbox for the additional free entry description. Another textbox bound to Price field in Line Items to enter the price. Code in the combobox AfterUpdate event can set value in the Price textbox.

Me!Price = Me.comboboxname.Column(2)

This will allow the price to be edited by user. This is option 2 and does not affect the records in Products table nor will it impact existing records in Line Items. However, when prices do change you will probably want to edit the Products table so the most current price is retrieved and saved into Line Items.

If you don't want to allow user to change the retrieved price, then be sure to keep Products table up-to-date and use an expression in Price textbox: =[comboboxname].[Column](2)

I reference 2 in the Column property assuming Price will be in the 3rd column of combobox. Column index begins with 0.

Do you mean a combo box taken from the Product table?

June7 is offline VIP
    I think so - combobox with Product table records as RowSource.

Thank you! I give this a try this week.
    You've made a difference in my life...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.