yelkenli is offline Novice
    Windows 2K Access 2000

Append query won't append

I have an append query that runs and gives the error '## fields set to null due to type conversion errors'.

the query does append records. but it leave null some of the fields. the whole field will be blank.

the append is pulling from one table into another. there are no functions or equations in the query.

I compare the two tables (source and destination) and cannot find any differences between the fields. all of the settings are the same.

Any recommendations on where to look for the problem?

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Look specifically at the field being left blank. Check the data type of that field in both tables. The source table contains data the destination table can't accept. A common example would be text being put into a numeric field.

Windows 2K Access 2000
    I checked the fields in both tables. they look the same. for example, Text, 255 characters. also, the 'required' and other settings are the same.

Also, I changed my query and left out one of the fields giving trouble, as it was not an important field. I had the same problem, but this time a field that loaded correctly was left blank. Of course I am thinking this is random, voodoo, or bad karma, but I know there is an issue somewhere.

I also tried exporting to excel and then importing. that did not work, in fact no fields were imported. again due to type issues.

any ideas would be great.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Can you post the db, or a representative sample of it that will exhibit the problem?

Windows 2K Access 2000
    I found it.

I went through the tables and append query in an effort to purge all but the trouble fields (prep it to post by purging sensitive data). I found a couple of unrelated errors in the query and then narrowed down to the mismatch problems. One was a type mismatch. Another was erroneous data in a field. I deleted the erroneous data, corrected the mismatch, and unrelated errors.

It took deleting the good until I found the bad. Simply looking at the table settings was not enough. There must be an easier way. MS Access should provide more information to help track down the error. Do you know of such a feature?

Thanks

Windows XP Access 2007
    Sorry, I can't think of one offhand. Glad you found the problem though.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.