Rinoaerith is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Newbie in Access - question on populating data from a standard table

Hi all,

First of all, I must apologize but I am not from US and my english could be very disapointing for you.
    Also, I am a newbie in using Access, so I was even in doubt in which section I had to post my doubt... but, here is it (if it is in the wrong section, please let me know):

In my work I have a lot of projects ongoing. For each project I have a block of documents that that I have to receive and that is always the same for all new projects. Each block received is composed for the same documents.

So, in the details I have the folowing:

Project>Block>Documents, it means that every project has many (already defined) blocks and every block has many (already defined) documents. I have to control the blocks and the documents received by date and by quality of the document (that I call "risk") for each new project_ID.

In fact I have the following structure in 3 tables:

tbl_Evaluation
    * project_ID - internal number
    * Block - the value is choosen from a query in the table tbl_Block
    Project begining - date
    Project end - date
    Project overall risk - query in a table named "tbl_risk"

tbl_Block
    * Block (feeds the field "block" in tbl_Evaluation and is already filled with the list of all blocks that composes a new project_ID)

tbl_Document
    * Block
    * Document (already filled with list of all documents in each block)
    Receipt Date
    Initial evaluation date
    Final evaluation date
    Initial risk
    Final risk

Being * the primary key in each table. The tbl_Evaluation is linked/related to tbl_Block by "block" and tbl_Block is linked/related to tbl_document by "block" also. So you see that tbl_Document has no direct relation to tbl_Evaluation. Also, the tbl_block is a "query" that I used in tbl_Evaluation in fied "block".

Every time that I include a new project_ID in the tbl_Evaluation the "block" described in tbl_Block is showed as a subsheet in table preview. Also, the tbl_document is showed as a subsheet for tbl_Block.

It occurs that I when I tried to include the data in the fields "Receipt data", "Initial evaluation date", "Initial evaluation date", "Final evaluation date", "Initial risk" and "Final risk" for tbl_Document, the values appears in all new subsequent project_ID that I tried to include.
    What I want is that every time that I include a new project_ID in tbl_Evaluation, access includes all register that is described in tbl_Block and in tbl_Document and that this registers must be exclusively related to each new project_ID... Is this possible?

I am struglin with this and had a little schedule to finish, otherwise I will have to try (and God knows how) in excel...

I dont know if I am making myself clear... and sorry if this is a simple question, but its driving me nuts!

Thanks in advance
    Vanessa

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Your English is more than adequate. I suggest you work through this tutorial that will take you from a description of a business, to a well structured database design that matches and supports your business. The tutorial starts with a clear concise business description. In my view, if you work through this tutorial and then try it with your own data, you'll have a dtatbase design that matches your needs.

Good luck with your project.

Rinoaerith is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    Hi All,

I was able to accomplish what I wanted using the append query.

I created a an append query from tbl_Block and other one for tbl_Document. In which the fields "blocks" and "documents" are inserted on each new project inserted in the tbl_Evaluation;
    Next I created a macro to run both append queries.
    Next I created a form with a button that runs this query everytime that a new project is inserted and voila!!

Now, everytime a new project is inserted on tbl_Evaluation a new set of "blocks" and "documents" are also inserted being unique for the new project ID!!

Thank you very much for the support. It was because of your reference that I was able to accomplish this!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.