rjgriffin46 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Limiting and Filling Fields based on Another Field

The database I am building is for Student & Alumni administration at a non-profit culinary school. In the various forms for entering student information and for defining tests and recording test scores, I would like to not have to re-select things like Class Number or Test number.

I was able to use the Test Number field as Link Master, Child in a Test Results sub-form where Test Parameters is the Master form. But I am not able to link with the Class Number, getting the error message: "The setting you entered isn't valid for this property" even though it is one of the Suggested Link Fields. The form record source is a query linking the Class Table, Test Parameters, Test Results and Students.

I noticed that I can eliminate both Class Number and Test Number from the sub-form. In the underlying query, both these fields are updated. However, the underlying Test Results table does have the Test Number but not the Class Number. While there is still a "queryable" link from the student to the Class Number, I would very much want the Class Number to be stored in the Test Results table.

Is there a way to accomplish this through the sub-form Link Master/Child property or any other/better way to inherit both the Class Number and Test Number in each Test Results record entered?

Thanks

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by rjgriffin46 View Post
    ...Is there a way to accomplish this through the sub-form Link Master/Child property or any other/better way to inherit both the Class Number and Test Number in each Test Results record entered?...
    If I understand the problem correctly, no. You will only be able to link one field as Main/Child. When I need to include additional criteria to subforms, I use VBA to adjust the subform's RecordSource. Another approach is to base the subform on a query. In turn, the query can have Dependent Dynamic Parameterizes associated with the Main form. The difference being, there is almost no limit to the criteria you can apply to a Record Source of a subform and there is a limit to Main/Child links.

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    Yes, you can have multiple Main/Child fields on the form
    for Property:
    LINK CHILD FIELDS: field1;field2
    LINK MASTER FIELDS: field1;field2

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Quote Originally Posted by ranman256 View Post
    Yes, you can have multiple Main/Child fields on the form
    for Property:
    LINK CHILD FIELDS: field1;field2
    LINK MASTER FIELDS: field1;field2
    Thanks for correcting me. I think I knew that too. I just never use it as an option. Perhaps I should consider it in the future.

June7 is online now VIP
    Yes, compound keys - something I prefer to avoid.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.