drow is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Database Audit

Hello All,

I am currently working on a project to build a pipe fabrication estimating database at the request of a friend. This project is nearing completion, or at least a stage where it is ready for some significant testing. Because access programming is not my day job nor something that I feel very skilled at, I was hoping to hire someone to do a "database audit" in a sense. The intent was to hire a more seasoned access programmer to spend a few hours to review the database that I have created with the following objectives:

1. Review of the database for database "best practices" - aspects of the database that may result in errors or inefficiencies/
    2. Review of the database for existing settings that may limit the functionality of the database if its functionality is expanded.
    3. Provide recommended changes based on points 1 & 2.
    4. Answer some questions that I may have in order to address items from points 1,2 and 3.

My thoughts are that it would take someone who is seasoned in access programming a few hours to complete this work and I would be willing to pay about $100 USD for this work. It is not a princely sum but as I am doing this for a friend , I cannot offer a ton. The main motivation is to provide them with a quality product. I have discussed creating a post of this nature with the site admin and there was no objections, so hopefully this does not offend anyone by creating a post of this nature here. If this is a task that you think you would be interested in and qualified for, please respond to this post or send me a message.

Thanks

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Many here would be willing to take a long look at the project for no fee. If you just post the db so anyone can review, you might get a lot of bang for you buck.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

drow is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Hi June7,

That sounds like an excellent suggestion. People here are generous with their time, but I thought that might be asking a bit much. The only "issue" that I have with that while the help from others would be great, I would prefer not to post the project to the whole world as it has some aspects that are confidential in nature. While I don't mind sending it to a small group, I would rather it not be available to all. Do you have any suggestions in this case?

Thanks

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Don't put confidential data in posted db. Make a copy and remove confidential info (ssn, email, phone).
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.