Ruegen is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Form that filters with character field made into integer

I have

Code:
    Me.Filter = "[numberInt]" & " between " & (PostcodeConverted + 5) & " And " & (PostcodeConverted - 5) & ""
    I think the concatination is wrong

numberInt is actually cint(schoolPostcode) in the select record source

however I wouldn't mind using

Me.Filter = " cint(schoolPostcode)" & " between " & (PostcodeConverted + 5) & " And " & (PostcodeConverted - 5) & ""

though not sure how

any advice?

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Why the + and - 5?

CInt should fail for higher numbers. Try CLng.

Is your expression not working? Looks okay to me. What is PostcodeConverted?

Me.Filter = "[numberInt] BETWEEN " & (PostcodeConverted + 5) & " AND " & (PostcodeConverted - 5)
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Ruegen is offline VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Why the + and - 5?

CInt should fail for higher numbers. Try CLng.

Is your expression not working? Looks okay to me. What is PostcodeConverted?

Me.Filter = "[numberInt] BETWEEN " & (PostcodeConverted + 5) & " AND " & (PostcodeConverted - 5)
    the postcode is 4 digits long - never higher.

We minus or plus 5 to get surrounding areas.

The problem I have is that the field is a string.

I made in the select row source have an extra field that converted the string to an integer - for a while the form and functions work. Today for some odd reason it broke and stopped working

PostcodeConverted is a public variable that stores the currently opened school's postcode.

PostcodeConverted = CInt(Me.SchoolPostCode.Value)

the idea is that you open a form to a list of schools and filter it.

only because the select query is not working - I can't use filter form using the int field "[intfieldofpostcode]"

originally I had 'DoCmd.OpenForm "frmSchoolsSearchPostCode", , , "[numberInt]" & " between " & (PostcodeConverted + 5) & " And " & (PostcodeConverted - 5) & ""

even if I try to filter the form I can't convert the string field in the where to an int - this won't work because I am calling a field that doesn't exist.

not sure what to do still

added the select to this post:
    Code:
    SELECT tblSchools.SchoolPostCode, tblSchools.Enrollment, tblSchools.NewSchoolsID, tblSchools.Removed, Len([SchoolPostCode]) AS numberP, tblStates.StateID, tblStates.SchoolState, IIf(isnothing([SchoolPostCode]),CInt(Format(0,"0000")),Format(CInt([SchoolPostCode]),"0000")) AS numberInt, Right([numberInt],4)+10 AS test, Right([numberInt],4)-10 AS test2, tblSchools.SchoolAddress, tblSchools.SchoolName, tblAreas.Area, tblAreas.AreasID, tblSchools.AreaID, tblSchools.SchoolSuburb
    FROM tblStates INNER JOIN (tblAreas INNER JOIN tblSchools ON tblAreas.AreasID = tblSchools.AreaID) ON tblStates.StateID = tblSchools.StateID
    WHERE (((tblSchools.NewSchoolsID)<>9389) AND ((tblSchools.Removed) Is Null) AND ((tblAreas.AreasID)<>93))
    ORDER BY tblSchools.Enrollment DESC;

Ruegen is offline VIP
    The actual field is

numberInt: IIf(isnothing([SchoolPostCode]),CInt(Format(0,"0000")),Format(CInt([SchoolPostCode]),"0000"))

Ruegen is offline VIP
    The function is here

Code:
    Function filterSchoolPostCodes(Postcode As Control, FormToOpen As String, ControlToPassPostCode As String)

If Len(Postcode) = 5 Or Len(Postcode) = 4 Then
    Dim strStore As String
    strStore = Postcode

Dim PostcodeConverted As Integer
    PostcodeConverted = CInt(strStore)

DoCmd.OpenForm "frmSchoolsSearchPostCode", , , "[numberInt]" & " between " & (PostcodeConverted + 5) & " And " & (PostcodeConverted - 5) & ""
    Forms(FormToOpen).Controls(ControlToPassPostCode).Value = PostcodeConverted

Else
    End If

End Function

June7 is online now VIP
    Might not even be necessary to convert the text postcode. Access will do arithmetic with string if there is a true number entity included in the expression.

"5567" + "5"

will concatenate to 55675

"5567" + 5

will sum to 5572

Although converting might be safest. However, conversion functions fail with null, so it means every record must have value, or handle possible null with Nz.

CInt(Nz([fieldname],0))

Conversion also fails with empty string. I never allow empty string in fields.

Have you step debugged?

IsNothing is not a valid intrinsic function. I am aware of IsNull, IsNumeric, IsEmpty.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Ruegen is offline VIP
    Might not even be necessary to convert the text postcode. Access will do arithmetic with string if there is a true number entity included in the expression.

"5567" + "5"

will concatenate to 55675

"5567" + 5

will sum to 5572

Although converting might be safest. However, conversion functions fail with null, so it means every record must have value, or handle possible null with Nz.

CInt(Nz([fieldname],0))

Conversion also fails with empty string. I never allow empty string in fields.

Have you step debugged?

IsNothing is not a valid intrinsic function. I am aware of IsNull, IsNumeric, IsEmpty.
    isnothing() checks if there is anything null/nothing/non exist

The part that doesn't work is DoCmd.OpenForm FormToOpen, , , "[numberInt] BETWEEN " & (PostcodeConverted + 5) & " AND " & (PostcodeConverted - 5)

everything else does

the function passes are
    Code:
    Function filterSchoolPostCodes(PostCodeControl As Control, FormToOpen As String, ControlToPassPostCode As String)

this is on the form (when you double click the postcode field)

Call filterSchoolPostCodes(Me.Postcode, "frmSchoolsSearchPostCode", "txtPostCode")

June7 is online now VIP
    Doesn't work means what - error message, wrong results, nothing happens?

Issue maybe with numberInt calculation: IIf(isnothing([SchoolPostCode]), CInt(Format(0,"0000")), Format(CInt([SchoolPostCode]),"0000"))

Is IsNothing a custom function? It doesn't work in the immediate window so it is not an intrinsic function.

Format within CInt is meaningless because CInt will drop the leading zeros and return just 0.

CInt within Format is useless because Format results in a string value.

So in one case it returns a number and in the other it returns a string. This is mixing data types. The expression should return the same data type for both conditions.

Ruegen is offline VIP
    Although I'm not at work to check - I think that is the fault.

Ruegen is offline VIP
    Doesn't work means what - error message, wrong results, nothing happens?

Issue maybe with numberInt calculation: IIf(isnothing([SchoolPostCode]), CInt(Format(0,"0000")), Format(CInt([SchoolPostCode]),"0000"))

Is IsNothing a custom function? It doesn't work in the immediate window so it is not an intrinsic function.

Format within CInt is meaningless because CInt will drop the leading zeros and return just 0.

CInt within Format is useless because Format results in a string value.

So in one case it returns a number and in the other it returns a string. This is mixing data types. The expression should return the same data type for both conditions.
    The strange thing query still won't convert it to an integer

IIf(IsNull([SchoolPostCode]),CInt(0),CInt([SchoolPostCode]))

I wrapped cint around both just to be sure....

I still get a data mismatch - and this is in the query design view to be sure.

Ruegen is offline VIP
    Changed it to numberInt: IIf(isnothing([SchoolPostCode]),Val(0),Val([SchoolPostCode])) and it seems to work..

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.