Elite4200 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Microsoft Access Based Data Application/Interface

Hi All,

I am working with Microsoft Access databases. Mostly patients/hospital related data which is quite detailed (i.e. Tables with details such as patients, location, medical centre details, medical personal, patient demographics), so you can imagine the size, most of the time I am working on Excel once running simple queries on Access. Then I extract the data to Excel and modify as I'd like, since its easier for me to do it that way. But the databases are so massive that I need to find a way to simplify my reporting.

Now I am by no means an expert so I'm looking to make my life easier by potentially creating a an interface which links number of databases and spits out an end result based on a certain criteria that I would like to set. The idea is to basically save myself time which I waste in manipulating things through excel, instead it can all be done through access except the advantage is that I can do it all at once, rather than do it bit by bit.

Just a very very very simplistic example of what I expect this application to do is:
    E.g For a certain patient group, I'd like to see the number of times those patients have been diagnose with X, within a pre specified date range. That's just an example. However working through large databases becomes a bit tedious to do one by one.

Basically I'm looking to create a Microsoft access based interface or application which will accommodate a large database or combinations of large databases (ADPs, MDPs etc etc) with pre-specified linking relationships. Not sure where to start as I am not an programmer, and don't quite understand code writing or SQL.... but I am looking to do it myself and learn for the future as I expect to be doing these things at a more extreme/advanced level.

What's your advice? and where should I start. I'm pretty much looking to learn by myself at home as I know Microsoft Access at a beginner's level
    Would you have some examples, on-line tutorials? All ideas are welcomed
    Thanks in advance.

amrut is offline Expert
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Have look at the sample models here to start with http://www.databaseanswers.org/data_models/

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.